Ridley's Believe It Or Not—August 9, 2014: Hope you enjoy the holidays posted, along with the factoids and quote from Michelangelo with a smile on your face, a book in your lap, a happy attitude and a dish of rice pudding.
1. National Peacekeeper’s Day (Canada)—honoring the brave Canadians who have served as peacekeepers in the various trouble spots of the world in the 20th and 21st Century.
2. Veep Day Day—celebrating not the proclivity of Joe Biden to swim in the nude to the dismay of the female members of his Secret Service detail but Gerald Ford’s becoming President after the effectiveness of Richard Nixon’s resignation at noon on this day in 1974.
3. Book Lovers Day---celebrating one of the great ways to spend a summer day with a Nook, Kindle, hardcover or paperback—reading is always a good use of time.
4. National Polka Day--celebrating a dance that has been around since the early 1800s and originating in Bohemia and totally ridiculed by Robin Williams as DJ Adrian Cronauer in Good Morning Vietnam.
5. National Rice Pudding Day--celebrating not one of this highly evolved omnivore’s favorite dessert choices.
On this day in
a. 1483 the Sistine Chapel in Rome celebrated its first Mass (how could you concentrate looking at the fresh art of Michelangelo)?
b. 1944 the U.S. Forest Service unveiled Smokey the Bear—who has been one busy bear given all the fires.
c. 1974 Richard Nixon having resigned as President of the United States boarded Marine One for the last time to leave the White House.
Why artists make more money than poets: What one has most to work and struggle for in painting is to do the work with a great amount of labour and sweat in such a way that it may afterward appear, however much it was laboured upon, to have been done almost quickly and almost without any labour, and very easily, although it was not.” Michelangelo Sometimes poetry comes as fast you can type, a race against the lines yearning to be able to rest on paper as opposed to careened inside a poet’s brain.
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join almost 140 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs--click on links below. www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest.
© August 9, 2014 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet