Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For December 30, 2017 As we near the end of the year it seems that the news has gone into hibernation as people are reflecting on the events of 2017 and predictions of what 2018 will look like as the midterm frenzy will take hold and make it almost impossible for a partisan, deeply divided nation to accomplish anything meaningful for the mere mortals who are trying to thrive and survive outside the Swamp; as Trump is preparing to present his infrastructure plan to repair our crumbling roads, bridges, waterways, airports, tunnels and pot hole infested streets the doubling of our national debt effects under Obama’s 8 years of stagnant self inflicted wounds of regulations and taxes killing GNP growth is coming home to roost in spades (the only silver lining might be to allow public works contracts to pay less than union wages to save money); there may be hope in the land of state sponsored terror and theocracy as protests appear to be breaking out in Iran over the dictatorial rule of the mullahs (why is the MSM MIA in reporting the growing wave of protests erupting in the streets of Tehran?); no thanks to a politicized CH&OA FBI but thanks to Judicial Watch and other FOIA warriors heavily redacted emails sent by HRC’s trusted aide Huma Abedin to her pervert husband now serving time to be printed show that some were marked classified at the time of sending (another example of two standards of law, one for HRC and the Clintonites and the other for mere mortals who served this country like Petreaus or Flynn); if you were considering a vacation visit to China, you might want to reconsider at least if you had Harbin, China on your list as hidden cameras show hotel workers at three high end hotels cleaning glassware with toilet brushes, mopping floors with water from toilet bowls and folding towels on the bathroom floors; almost a stuck record or a gruesome remake of Groundhog Day, Chicago style, the carnage in Chicago continued unabated with total shootings by mostly minorities against mostly minorities in 2017 through December 29 increasing to 3551, 626 of whom have died which gruesome as it may be represents a very slight year to date decrease which in the waning 2 days of December is definitely helped not by increased police presence but by Officer Arctic Weather now on patrol in Chicago.
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to the Beatles, factoids of interest for this day in history, the fact that unlike Congress, you are free from lentor and a relevant quote by Matt Lauer on what must in his mind be a euphemistic justification for sexual harassment, secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. Falling Needles Family Fest Day—in another really slow day for holidays and observances and scraping the bottom of the barrel to find this one, celebrated by the family watching the needles of a very dry Christmas Tree slowly one by one falling to the floor reminding the occupants of the house that it will be very soon time to take down the ornaments and place the tree outside to be picked up.
2. National Soda of Bicarbonate Day—commemorating the many uses of baking soda especially as a reliever of heartburn or indigestion caused by too much celebrating on New Year’s Eve but even so as holidays go still scrapping the bottom of the barrel.
3. 1964 Number One Song— the number one song in 1964 on a run of 3 weeks in that position was “I Feel Fine” by the Beatles. Here is a recording of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpBiGdV-oJI
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day is “lentor“ which means sluggishness which seems to describe the state of activity of Congress trying to solve the issues facing this nation.
5. Reptilian Hyperactive Brain Poster Child—bemoaning in the year of the sexual perverts or cheaters the birth of Matt Lauer whose career and marriage is down the proverbial toilet due to his sexual harassment of women which until November of this year NBC had turned a blind eye for many years. One can only feel sympathy for his soon to be ex-wife and their three young children ridiculed by his antics and perversions.
On this day in:
a. 1936 the UAW staged its first sit down strike at GM’s plant in Flint, Michigan which lasted into February and resulted in the recognition of the UAW as the union for GM workers.
b. 1993 Israel established diplomatic relations with the Vatican and upgraded its relations with Ireland to full diplomatic status.
c. 2005 Tropical Storm Zeta was formed in the Atlantic 30 days after the hurricane season had officially ended to become the latest tropical storm formed in the Atlantic and did not dissipate until January 7, 2006 to have the distinction of being only the second tropical storm to span two calendar years.
d. 2006 ETA, a Basque separatist group parked a car laden with 800 kilograms of explosives in a parking structure at the Madrid International Airport but fortunately called 45 minutes before it was set to go off, enabling police to evacuate the airport resulting in only two deaths of people who had the misfortune of sleeping in their car in the structure.
e. 2006 Saddam Hussein, was executed but his execution did nothing to stem the violence against coalition forces or innocent civilians.
on the what is a euphemism for sexual harassment which is never justified; “When
you have somebody in a position of power show interest in you after you've kind
of been down and out, that's a big
boost.” Matt Lauer I suspect that the numerous women subject to Matt’s sexual
interests were in no way boosted only threatened and frightened by this
enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if
you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always
good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go
to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day
in History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and
poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's
Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.
© December 30, 2017 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift