Hope you are watching the U.S. Iran World Cup soccer game with the U.S. taking a 1-0 lead but losing Pulisic after he scored the first goal and collided with the Iran goalie (this is a must win game for the U.S. to advance) and looking forward to Popeyes leg and thigh special, Mutt Lynch’s buy one medium pizza get one free, Hennessey’s buy one burger get one free or Catalina Fish Kitchen’s Taco Tuesday specials. Please enjoy today’s Ridley's Believe It Or Not. Hope you find them informative and worthy of your time to read. If not, please reply “Unsubscribe” and I will delete you from the mailing list.
Ridley’s Believe It Or Not
November 29, 2022
National Holiday: Giving Tuesday: Celebrated on the first Tuesday after Thanksgiving and created in 2012 by the Belfer Center for Innovation and Social Impact and the United Nations Foundation in response to the commercialization associated with Black Friday, Small Business Sunday and Cyber Monday to encourage people to donate time and/or money to their favorite charities to give meaning to the “giving” part of Thanksgiving.
Word of the Day: The word of the day is “abiotrophy” which means the loss of physical vitality or ability which sadly is one of the least desirable consequences of getting older.
Number 1 Song of the Day: The number 1 song in 2018 was “Thank You Next” by Ariana Grande on a run of 6 weeks non continuous to share with 11 other acts recording number 1 hits, 9 of whom, including Ariana Grande and XXX Tentacion who became the 8th artist to achieve number 1 status posthumously after he was shot and killed in a robbery by three suspects now awaiting trial for murder, achieved their first number 1 . Here is a video recording of Ariana Grande performing “Thank U Next”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEhZAHZQyf4
Famous Birthdays: Chadwick Aaron Boseman, born on this day in 1976, who became a noted film and TV actor starring in historical movies as Jackie Robinson, James Brown, and Thurgood Marshall and the Black Panther in Marvel Entertainment films. Sadly he was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2016 but continued to work until he died at age 43 on August 28, 2020 but his last film Ma Rainey’s Black Bottoms released after his death garnered him a posthumous nomination for Best Actor Academy Award Nomination.
Famous Events that occurred on November 29th
1. 1781—After running almost out of water, the crew of the British slaver ship Zong originally loaded with 408 slaves started throwing slaves, including women and children overboard which ultimately rose to 142 and on arrival tried to collect insurance for the slaves who were drowned. No crew members were charged with murder, but the barbarity of the incident was instrumental in galvanizing the British government to in 1807 make the transportation of slaves to the New World illegal.
2. 1877—Thomas Edison demonstrated the phonograph for the first time.
3. 1947—The United Nations General Assembly approved a plan for the partition of Palestine.
4. 1963—Beatles kicked off the beginning of Beatlemania with the release of “I Want to Hold Your Hand” in the United Kingdom.
5. 1972—3 Atari released the first commercially successful video game Pong.
Quote of the Day: Great Britain’s Solicitor General Justice John Lee on refusing to bring criminal charges against the captain, crew and owners of the Zong for killing 142 slaves by throwing them overboard in the Atlantic miles from any land: “What is this claim that human people have been thrown overboard? This is a case of chattels or goods. Blacks are goods and property; it is madness to accuse these well-serving honourable men of murder… The case is the same as if wood had been thrown overboard.” Shocks the conscience but jettisoning part of a ship’s cargo especially when one learns that a rainstorm sufficient to fill 6 casks with water occurred the day after the drownings.
Michael P Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Poems on events of the day
Commissioned unique poems