Today marks the 3rd and final day of the 3 day strike called by the Service Employees International Union whose members are employed by the 2nd largest school district in the nation as L.A. Mayor Karen Bass who has been making solving the homeless situation in the city as priority number 1 has inserted herself into the negotiating process which hopefully will not distract her from the progress she is trying to make in the homeless arena. Biden speaking about the Violence Against Women Act made a major gaffe by claiming it was designed to “…keep guns out of the hands of domestic political advisers” when he was supposed say “convicted domestic abusers”—A true dyslexic type slip or a Freudian one wanting to disarm MAGA supporting Reds? In the sports world in a decision that will rattle the LGBTQ community big time, World Athletes, the international body for track and field and other running events has ruled that transgender females who have gone through male puberty cannot compete in women’s events. I hope you missed Ridley's Believe It Or Not these last few weeks and that you find Ridley's Believe It Or Not worth your time reading and if not please respond with an “Unsubscribe”.
Ridley’s Believe It Or Not
March 23, 2023
Noted Holidays: Start of Ramadan: Celebrating the month of fasting from dawn to dusk when the Prophet Muhammad received the first of the 5 Pillars of wisdom of Islam.
Word of the Day: The word of the day is “algefacient” which means cooling which if used to describe our planet runs total afoul of our host of climate change warriors.
Number 1 Song: The number 1 song on this day in 1944 was “Bésame Mucho (Kiss Me Much)” by Jimmy Dorsey and His Orchestra with Bob Eberly and Kitty Kallen on a run of 7 weeks to share with 11 other songs that achieved number 1 status. Here is the Jimmy Dorsey and His Orchestra with Bob Eberly and Kitty Kallen performing “Bésame Mucho (Kiss Me Much”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8mpbJ_YYI0https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8mpbJ_YYI0
March 23 Famous Birthdays: Ayesha Curry, noted Canadian-American actress, cookbook author, cooking TV personality and wife of Stephen Curry of the San Francisco Warriors who is the God child of Stanford Women’s basketball player Cameron Brink’s parents which explains why Stephen Curry was often in the stands when Stanford played at home.
March 23 Notable Events
1. 1983—President Ronald Reagan announced his intent to create a defense against nuclear armed missiles with what would be known as the strategic defense initiative.
2. 2001—The MIR Space Station, launched into orbit on February 20, 1986 and manned until April 23, 1996, reentered the Earth’s atmosphere to disintegrate over the South Pacific near Fiji on this day in 2001.
3. 2010—The Affordable Care Act or as it is known to its detractors, Obama Care, came into being as the law of the land.
4. 2019— The U.S. backed Syrian Democratic Forces, fighting the forces of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant for over 4 years captured the town of Baghuz, declaring enabling them to declare victory over such forces.
5. 2021—A container ship, Ever Given, buffeted by a high wind sandstorm ran aground in the Suez Canal, blocking the Suez Canal to traffic in both directions for over 6 days until it was finally freed. The silver lining in the grounding is that that Egyptian Government has embarked on a canal widening project that will enable two way traffic as opposed to the delaying necessity forming convoys and waiting until the convoy coming in the opposite direction has come through.
Opposing Famous Quotes on Notable Events Or Persons:
Deb Haaland, Native American Interior Department Secretary under President Biden:“The provision of healthcare in America has been a major policy issue for many decades. From the establishment of Medicare & Medicaid to the Affordable Care Act, we have struggled to find a solution for not just providing access to healthcare - but also becoming a healthier population.”
© 3/23/2023 Michael P. Ridley aka The Alaskanpoet
Poems on events of the day
Commissioned unique poems
Post a Comment