1. Heimlich Maneuver Day—celebrating the abdominal thrust developed by Henry Heimlich in 1974 and known by his last name, which maneuver has save thousands who would have otherwise choked to death due to food particles lodged in the trachea while eating.
2. World Milk Day—created by the UN Food and Agriculture Organization to promote consumption of dairy products—great day to have a cold glass of milk unless you are lactose intolerant.
3. 2014 Number One Song—celebrating the last number one song outside the rock and roll era which children of the 60’s were addicted to, the number one song in 2014 on a seven week run Fancy by Iggy Azalea (featuring Charli XCX), an Australian born hip hop singer and model active since 2011. Here is a link to Ms. Azalea performing Fancy: https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-zpOMYRi0w
4. National Hazelnut Cake Day—definitely a novel way to utilize a great nut.
5. Everyone Likes It Hot—celebrating not the pursuit of the warm sun in California but the birthday on this day in 1926 of the iconic sex symbol of the 50’s Marilyn who died of an overdose of barbiturates in 1962; one of her classic movies was Some Like It Hot costarring Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon.
On this day in:
a. 1495 Friar John Cor recorded the first batch of Scotch whisky.
b. 1813 James Lawrence the captain of the USS Chesapeake after being mortally wounded uttered his immortal command—“Don’t give up the ship.”
c. 1890 the U.S. Census Bureau began using Herman Hollerith’s tabulating machine to count Census data.
d. 1967 the Beatles released their iconic album Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band which sold over 30 million copies worldwide.
e. 1980 Cable News Network (CNN) began broadcasting.
Reflections on cable TV: “Habit is a cable; we weave each day a thread of it. At last we cannot break it.” Horace Mann, noted 19th Century American politician and educational reformer. Watching too much TV, cable or otherwise, is a habit which is difficult to break.
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join 160 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. o to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest. www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com Ridley's Believe It Or Not Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times
© June1, 2015 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Rhymes for All the Memorable Times
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive a Lasting Lift