Ridley's Believe It Or Not—June 5, 2014: Better day for holidays as long as you do not trash the planet celebrating World Environment Day and if living in Orange County, California you have time to go to The Great Park and ride in The Great Park Balloon. Hope you enjoy them along with some gingerbread snacks, with or without moonshine and the factoids and quotes.
1. World Environment Day—created by the United Nations General Assembly to promote awareness of the need to protect the environment (very surprised that Obama’s EPA coal using regulations just announced were not announced on this day).
2. Hot Air Balloon Day—commemorating the first hot air balloon ride by the Montgolfier brothers on this day in 1783, the first time humans had broken free of the gravitational chains to join the birds in the sky.
3. Apple II Day—celebrating the release of the Apple II home computer to the public.
4. National Moonshine Day---celebrating the drink which is the bane of the ATF in terms of loss tax revenues but if you do make sure you know your moonshiner knows what he is doing.
5. National Gingerbread Day—no need to wait until the Holidays to enjoy gingerbread house when you can enjoy some gingerbread cookies with your moonshine today.
On this day in:
a. 1881 Harriet Beecher Stowe’s anti-slavery novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin began its ten month serial run in the National Era, an abolitionist newspaper.
b. 1933 the U.S. Congress abrogates the gold standard by passing a joint resolution nullifying the right of creditors to demand payment in gold.
c. 1981 the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report of the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control reported that five people in Los Angeles had contracted a rare form of pneumonia normally found in people with compromised immune systems which cases marked the first cases of AIDS in the U.S.
This is exactly the intolerance and ignorance that this country does not need “AIDS is not just God’s punishment of homosexuals; it is God’s punishment of the society that tolerates homosexuals.” Rev. Jerry Falwell Here is the perfect approach to such dribble: ”Wouldn’t it be great if you could only get AIDS by giving money to television preachers?” Elayne Boosler, noted American comedian and animal rescue advocate
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join almost 140 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs--click on links below. www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest.
© June 5, 2014 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet