Ridley's Believe It Or Not—June 15, 2014: Happy Father’s Day and hope you have time to go to go to http://alaskanpoet.blogspot.com/2014/06/poem-for-fathers-on-fathers-day-2014.html. for a great Father’s Day poem. If you have not selected the restaurant for dad and you live in So. California and since it is also National Lobster Day Seafood Cove II Restaurant would be good choice. Hope you enjoy the holidays, factoids and quote on fathers.
1. Father’s Day—celebrating fathers on the third Sunday of June which today is the earliest and given the rising tuition costs and stress in the job market highly appropriate today is the earliest day it can be celebrated. Kudos to all dads!
2. Global Wind Day—celebrating the generation of electrical power by wind as a means to reduce reliance on fossil fuels but not celebrated by the thousands of birds who by mistake fly into the wind turbines and are sliced and diced into oblivion.
3. World Elder Abuse Day—creating awareness of a problem that sad exists—the abuse of our senior citizens—the person who abuse a senior will in all likelihood become a senior in the future.
4. Native American Citizenship Day- commemorating this day in 1924 when American Natives who had been here for 10,000 years before the first Europeans landed became citizens of the United States.
5. National Lobster Day—honoring this poet’s favorite food; if you are not in Maine, the best place to go for live lobster out of the tank at the best prices is the Seafood Cove II Restaurant in Little Saigon in Westminster, CA at 9211 Bolsa Avenue.
On this day in:
a. 1864 Arlington National Cemetery with 200 acres of land around Arlington Mansion (formerly owned by General Robert E. Lee) was established.
b. 1916 President Woodrow Wilson signed a bill incorporating the Boy Scouts of America.
c. 1992 in a you can run but you cannot hide moment, the U.S. Supreme Court in U.S. v. Alvarez-Machain ruled that the U.S. may forcibly extradite suspects in foreign countries without the approval of the host country.
A thought on the value of a father. “One father is worth more than a hundred schoolmasters.” George Herbert, noted 17th Century English born Welsh poet, orator and Anglican priest. In today’s chaotic world add social workers and policemen to the list with schoolmasters.
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join almost 140 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs--click on links below. www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest.
email@example.com www.twitter.com/alaskanpoet www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com Ridley's Believe It Or Not Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times
© June 15, 2014 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet