wish that your weekend is proving to be a great. As always, I hope you enjoy the holidays and observances albeit somewhat meager today, factoids of interest, a music video Let It Be and a relevant quote by William Safire, having enjoyed a box of Animal Crackers, blessed with a positive attitude even though you know you will have to wade through tons of spam in your inbox, and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable event like birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. International Day of Monuments and Sites—celebrated since 1983 due to UNESCO resolution to honor cultural and historical monuments which fanatics like ISIS are hell bent on destroying.
2. National Newspaper Columnists Day—celebrating the contribution made by newspaper columnists and celebrated today on the anniversary of the death on this day in 1945 of one of the great columnists of World War II, Ernie Pyle.
3. 1970 Number One Song—celebrating the number one song in 1970 on a two week run Let It Be by the Beatles. Here is a music video of the Beatles performing Let It Be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsQsOjaVUuA
4. National Animal Crackers Day-- Nothing like a box of animal crackers to bring back memories of one’s youth.
5. Could Be a Boat but It’s a Poet Politician Day—celebrating not the Higgins Boat which enabled D-Day to occur, but rather the birthday on this day in 1941 of Michael Higgins, poet and author and ninth president of Ireland.
On this day in
a. 1923 Yankee Stadium, the house that Ruth built, opened for business.
b. 1924 Simon and Schuster published the world’s first crossword puzzle book.
c. 1988 the United States Navy in response to one of its ships striking an Iranian mine, launched operation Praying Mantis against the Iranian Navy, the largest naval engagement by the U.S. since World War II.
d. 2007 the U.S. Supreme Court by a 5-4 vote in the case of Gonzales v. Carhart ruled that the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act was constitutional.
e. 2014 in a bad day for mountain climbers, 16 people are killed by an avalanche on Mt. Everest.
Reflections by on being a newspaper columnist:” The wonderful thing about being a New York Times columnist is that it's like a Supreme Court appointment - they're stuck with you for a long time.” William Safire, noted American syndicated columnist for the New York Times
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join 155 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest. www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com Ridley's Believe It Or Not Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times © April 18, 2015 Michael P. Ridley aka the AlaskanpoetAlaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Rhymes for All the Memorable Times
The Perfect gift, All Recipients to Receive a Lasting lift