On the government
shutdown front, if the House cannot get its act together on the Red side of the
aisle and pass 12 funding bills, at midnight October 1, the federal government
will shut down evidence that while Reds as a minority party are experts at
critiquing and blaming but when in the majority are fractured with divisive
divisions not helped by a razor thin majority. Time to for all Americans
concerned about the economic and social effects of a shutdown to contact their
Congressional representative and tell them in no uncertain terms to compromise
and come to a deal to keep the government however bloated and wasteful it has
become in business.
Also on the government shutdown front with support for funding Ukraine’s war against Russia ebbing among Republicans, the Pentagon has announced that any government shutdown will not affect its funding of Ukraine delivery of weapons (so much for the power of the purse residing in the House of Representatives).
On the Peter Principle and VP Harris front Biden has name VP Harris as his new czar for his newly created White House Gun Violence Prevention Office which has to be a euphemism for Gun Control Through Confiscation Control. We have to hope her being MIA and a failure of any task she has received continue unabated.
On the political corruption crime front Senator Bob Menendez, who chairs the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, his wife Nadine and businessmen —Wael Hana, Jose Uribe and Fred Daibes have been indicted by federal prosecutors of engaging in bribery and corruption from 2018-2022 and illegally benefiting Egypt as investigators also following execution of a search warrant in 2022 of discovering vast amounts of cash and gold bars. Menendez has withdrawn from his chair post but has denied all charges but thankfully has not tossed the race card due to his being Hispanic but is claiming the prosecution is a “political smear job” (wonder if the DOJ which has been raked over the coals by Reds for two systems of justice will put pedal to the metal in their efforts to convict Senator Menendez).
On the crime front affecting politics Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson, a Blue elected in 2019 and a strong supporter of law and order, announced he is switching parties and becoming a Red, a move that residents in crime ridden cities like New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, and Oakland to name just a few are probably praying that their Blue Mayors ape.
On the criminal lack of smarts front, given the plethora cameras scanning the inside and outside of most business establishments, most criminals if they had any intelligence would disguise their appearance before firing a handgun into a crowd as police in Denver due to surveillance cameras have quickly identified the female shooter at Dierks Bentley's Whiskey Row as Keanna Rosenburgh who now identified should do the right thing and surrender.
On Biden’s continuing mental decline front, Biden was speaking at the 46th Annual Congressional Hispanic Caucus Gala to honor Sister Norma Pimental with these words: “I know Sister Norma lives the lessons nuns taught me growing up. Lessons based on the Gospel of Matthew: feed the hungry, care for the sick, welcome strangers. They echo what my dad taught me, and I mean this sincerely, my dad used to say, ‘Everyone, everyone is entitled to be treated with dignity and respect.’ The Congressional Black Caucus embodies all those values.” Once again more evidence that he is lost at sea with most likely another fictitious story from his past.
On the strike front, the Writers Guild Association and the studios are in their 3rd consecutive day of talks trying to reach a deal to end the 134 day strike. On the UAW strike front the UAW announced that the strike will be expanded at GM and Stellantis to include all parts distribution centers but not at Ford which some progress is being made.
On the transgender in sports front, the NFL which has broken the glass ceiling for officials, coaching, and scouting positions can now tout that the transgender ceiling for cheerleaders has been broken by the Carolina Panthers Top Cat Cheerleaders with bald transgender Justine Lindsay on the squad.
On the space front on Sunday in the Utah desert a NASA space capsule containing about a cup of pebbles and dust believed to be some 4.2 billion years old collected from the Bennu asteroid when it was 200 million miles from Earth is expected to land and hopefully with a parachute deploying not crash.
September 22, 2023 Michael P. Ridley aka The Alaskanpoet
Noted Holidays: Autumnal Equinox: Marking the day when the Sun shines directly above the Equator and the length of the day and the night are equal and is the first day of fall as opposed to the end of summer celebrated on Labor Day.
Word of the Day: The word of the day is “autarkic” which means self-sufficient which in terms of energy production we had during Trump’s Administration and which was lost during the Biden Administration due to his misguided war on fossil fuels.
Song of the Day: The number 1 song on this day in 1984 was “Missing You” by John Waite on a run of 1 week to share number 1 status with 19 other songs achieving number 1 ranking while 15 acts, including John Waite, achieved number one status for the first time. Here is a video recording of John Waite performing “Missing You”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9e157Ner90
September 22 Birthdays: “Lighting Up My Life”—Debbie Boone, born on this day in 1956 in Hackensack, New Jersey as the third of 4 daughters of Pat Boone who started singing on tour with him and her 3 sisters when she was 14 to go on to a successful country western and later Christian singing career.
September 22 Historical Events in Rhyme
1. On this day in 1995 an E-B3 AWACS plane took off from Elmendorf Air Force Base/Invading flights of geese airspace/Sucking them into the jet engines propelling the plane/Both engines on the left wing clogged with geese failed and power in them could not be reclaimed/Weighted down with fuel it reached only 250 feet high/Before crashing back to Earth and all 24 aboard would die.
2. On this day in 1993 on the Mobile River a tugboat pushing a loaded barge made wrong turn/Onto the unnavigable Big Bayou Canot and in the fog and untrained on radar the tugboat captain his mistake did not learn/Rammed into a railroad bridge and kinked but did not break the rails/8 minutes thereafter the Sunset Limited at 70 mile per hour crossing the bridge derailed/3 locomotives, baggage car, sleeping car and 2 of 6 passenger cars into the water dived/103 were injured and 42 passengers and 5 crew did not survive/As a lasting result of the mishap Sunset Limited service past New Orleans to Orlando to this day has come an end/If the rails had broken instead of only kinked an electronic red light stop warning to the train would send.
3. On this day in 1980 Iraq thinking it was facing a severely weakened Iran/Sent its tanks and soldiers invading across the desert sands/Pushing Iran back for three months then to advancement cease by year end/On to the defensive Iraqi forces were forced to descend/By June of 1982 Iran had all its lost territory back/For the next 5 years primarily in Iraq, Iran was on the attack/Iraq then recovered and by mid 1988 from Iraq Iranian forces were pushed out/Both sides were exhausted by almost 8 years of war and prodded by UN Resolution 598 is why a cease fire on August 20, 1988 came about.
4. On this day in 1975, 17 days after Lynnette “Squeaky” Fromme’s failed Ford assassination try/Sarah Jane Moore in a new unfamiliar gun the day before she would buy/Because on an illegal handgun charge her .44 and 113 rounds of ammunition police would take/The new gun’s sights were different and when she shot at Ford from 40 feet a near miss it would her make/Raised arm again to take another shot/When a former Marine Oliver Sipple dived for the gun so her second shot would also go for naught/Pled guilty and received a life in prison sentence/After 32 years released on parole and now at 93 exhibits remorse and repentance.
5. On this day in 1692 8 people found guilty of being witches were hanged by the neck until dead/More witchcraft trials were in the future to be moving ahead/But some sanity in the form of Governor William Phips back in Massachusetts from fighting in Maine/Ordered on October 12, 1692 that executions of suspected or convicted witches were to be refrained.
Quote on the Iran-Iraq War by Efraim Karsh The Iran-Iraq War 1980-1988: “Yet, despite their overwhelming superiority in firepower and their resort to chemical weapons, the Iraqi forces failed to retake Fao, with some 10,000 Iraqis (and 30,000 Iranians) killed in a fortnight. Four years later, during his famous meeting with the US Ambassador to Baghdad, April Glaspie, and shortly before Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait, Saddam would turn this humiliating defeat into a shining achievement. ‘Yours is a nation that cannot afford to lose 10,000 men in one battle’, he boasted in front of the startled ambassador.”
© September 22, 2023 Michael
P. Ridley aka The Alaskanpoet
Poems on Events of the Day
Unique Commissioned Poems for Special Events