On the COVID front Red Senator
Vance has introduced legislation barring the imposition of mask mandates on any
form of public transportation and in any school from primary schools to
colleges and preventing any educational institution or public transportation
from refusing service to anyone who declines to wear a mask through December
31, 2024. He must have read the tea leaves as Rosemary Hills Elementary School in
Montgomery County, after 3rd grade students tested positive in the
last 10 days, has instituted a N-25 mask mandate for 10 days. Despite living in
close contact with Jill, Biden has tested negative but in a stoking viral fear
moment will be wearing a mask indoors.
On the medical front, the Capitol Doctor Brian Monahan, after examining McConnell and having consulted with a team of neurologists and reviewing a MRI, has announced that he has not suffered a stroke or developed Parkinson’s Disease but light headedness is a common occurrence for someone recovering from a concussion which he suffered several months ago. Doctor Monahan cleared him to return to his normal work schedule. Pollster Nate Silver is warning Blues that if Biden has a “McConnell Moment” he will lose the election in 2024. Monahan’s diagnosis is not swaying Nikki Haley who continues to call for term limits and mental competency tests.
On the Hunter Biden scandal which seems to grow each day, after multiple whistleblowers have stated that the FBI tipped off the DHS and the Secret Service on the night before Hunter was to be interviewed which resulted in the interview not taking place and the DHS informed the Secret Service not to respond to Comer’s request for documents relevant to the tip-off, Comer has subpoenaed officials of DHS and the Secret Service to appear before his Oversight Committee.
On the cartel drug front, the American Consulate in Matamoros in the state of Tamaulipas, which is 1 of the 6 states that the State Department has a travel advisory warning to Americans to avoid the area due to threats of violence against Americans, has ordered its employees to shelter in place as a shootout between Mexican Marines and cartel member broke out yesterday ending with 4 cartel members dead. Zunyu Zhao and Xionwei Xiao pled guilty for trafficking endangered brown sea cucumbers worth more than $10,000 and when sentenced face up to 25 years in prison.
On the political front in Texas, suspended Texas AG Ken Paxton began his impeachment trial in the Texas Senate after the Texas House impeached him on 20 counts many of which involved his relationship and activities with friend and major campaign donor Nate Paul. The Senate is hearing evidence on 16 issues and holding 4 in abeyance until after a verdict is reached on the 16. The Texas Senate consists of 31 senators, 1 of whom is Paxton’s wife who will not be allowed to vote but will be counted in to determine the 2/3 voting requirement which means 9 Reds will have to join the 12 Blues in the Senate to convict and in a separate vote a like number will also be needed to ban him from ever holding office again.
On the Burning Man front the rains stopped and the road into the site finally was cleared of mud debris to enable participants who probably did not enjoy a monsoon like rain of 1” and now faced traffic jams of 7 hours in 10 lines on the desert floor of really slowly moving traffic.
On the crime front Proud Boys leader was sentenced to 22 years plus 36 months of probation for orchestrating the events of January 6, 2021 and won the dubious distinction of receiving the longest sentence of any defendant which was less that the over 30 years the DOJ was recommending. September 5, 2023 Michael P. Ridley aka The Alaskanpoet
Noted Holidays: Telephone Tuesday: Created in 2015 by Marchex, a B2B call and conversational analytics company, promote awareness that on this day telephone goes through the roof which might explain longer wait times on hold waiting for a human to answer your questions or requests the automated voice recognition and response system could not.
Word of the Day: The word of the day is “atimy” which means a public disgrace and loss of civil liberties.
Song of the Day: The number 1 song on this day in 1999 was “Bailamos” by Enrique Iglesias on a run of 2 weeks to share number 1 status with 14 other songs achieving number 1 ranking while 11 acts, including Enrique Iglesias, achieved number one status for the first time. Here is a music video with lyrics of Enrique Iglesias performing “Bailamos”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sye_VxmNZA
September 5 Birthdays: “A Fantastic Voyage into Stardom”—Raquel Welch, Born on this day in 1940 in Chicago, Illinois was a noted actress and sex symbol appearing in such films One Million B.C., 100 Rifles, The Fantastic Voyage and The Three Musketeers. Her last film, How to Be a Latin Lover,” was released in 2017.Suffering from Alzheimer’s she died from cardiac arrest on February 15, 2023 in Los Angeles.
September 5 Historical Events in Rhyme
1. On this day in 1996 CAT 3 Fran was heading to North Carolina to appear/Bringing with her to the landfall site named well—Cape Fear/27 people from Fran bought the farm/$3 billion of property damage harm
2. On this day in 1986 Pan Am Flight 73/The Empress of the Seas/Had just landed to unload and take on new passengers in Karachi/When terrified passengers would hear the sound of gun fire and a hijacking to see/4 heavily armed terrorists come aboard from the Abu Nidal Organization/An alert flight attendant punched the hijack code and the pilots escaped before a cockpit invasion/The terrorists planned to release jailed terrorist by to Cyprus and Israel to fly/Demanded pilots and if not delivered hostages would start to die/When that did not happen on American was shot in the head/Then tossed on to the tarmac dead/The power to the plane was soon cut/Pitch-black the terrorists started shooting as passengers and crew started to open exit doors that were shut/ Jumping or sliding to the tarmac 379 passengers tried to exit the plane with 21 lives lost/120 wounded or injured to add to the human cost/The 5 terrorists were caught, tried and sentenced to death commuted soon to life/In 2001 a 5th terrorist as the leader was extradited to the U.S./tried and convicted and sentenced to 160 years never again to cause the civilized world any more stress.
3. On this day in 1975 Lynnette “Squeaky” Fromme tried with a Colt .45/To shoot President Ford from 2 feet so she would not miss and he would not survive/Pointed and fired to hear not a shot but a click/Full magazine but she had forgotten the pull back the slider to put the first bullet in the chamber trick/Stripped of her gun and forced to the ground/ Arrested, tried, convicted and sentenced to life in a prison cell/Released on parole on August 14, 2009 to write a book in 2018 to her life with Manson tell/Do not know if it did poorly or well/Only that Squeaky Fromme’s Reflection in paperback is still a book Barnes and Noble sells.
4. On this day in 1972 at the Munich Games/Where peace and sportsmanship are represented by the flag and the eternal flame/Palestinian Black September terrorists broke through the door to the Israeli weight lifters room/Sending 2 that night to a fatal doom/9 Israelis had not escaped and were hostages tied together while the leader made his demands/234 Palestinians and non-Arabs to be from Israeli jail cells/A demand to the Israelis the West Germans could not sell/Finally the terrorist agreed to be flown to an Arab country if their safety was insure/ West Germans agreed and snipers at an airport where the helicopters carrying the hostages were to arrive/On seeing the plane empty of pilots the terrorist knew they were had to start shooting the hostages and grenaded1 of the choppers so no Israeli survived.
5. On this day in 1969 for leading troops at My Lai/Where hundreds of men, women and children civilians on March 16, 1968 at the hands of U.S. Army troops died/Lieutenant William Calley was charged with murdering 106 civilians a heinous war crime/Tried, convicted and sentenced to in prison spend the rest of his lifetime/Which was converted in 3 days to house arrest/To serve only 3 years and to with a full release be blessed.
Quote on the Munich Massacre by ABC Sports Announcer Jim McKay: “When I was a kid, my father used to say "Our greatest hopes and our worst fears are seldom realized." Our worst fears have been realized tonight. They've now said that there were eleven hostages. Two were killed in their rooms yesterday morning, nine were killed at the airport tonight. They're all gone.”
September 5, 2023 Michael P. Ridley aka The Alaskanpoetwww.alaskanpoet.blogspot.comPoems on
Events of the Day
Unique Commissioned Poems for Special Events