On the keeping the government open
front, as the September 30 deadline to fund the government nears it appears
that Civil War has broken out among Republicans with the Freedom Caucus and
McCarthy at loggerheads and the clock winding down. If all the Reds can do is
investigate Hunter Biden and the Biden Family they will lose their majority in
a landslide, washing away any chance to regain the White House—maybe McCarthy
should be passing out togas and fiddles to members of the Freedom Caucus.
On the climate change front, Massachusetts Governor Maura Healy has signed an executive order banning state agencies from buying single use plastic containers to cut down also the mountains of trash that litter our beaches. Good motive but unintended consequence is what does the state do with the glass bottles and cans used as substitutes?
On the lack of Good Samaritans front, a 13 year old girl was attacked in a McDonald’s in Harbor City, CA by an adult female who looked like she outweighed the girl by 40+ pounds and what did the large number of spectators do? Call 911 to report the assault or try to stop it? No they pulled out their cell phones to record the assault for future enjoyment to share with their friends. Only after several minutes did the man who came with the attacking woman pull the attacker off the girl who was traumatized and left with a badly bruised and swollen face.
On the crime front and the need to be packing, a man driving his Aston Martin convertible to his home in Westport, Connecticut was followed by 2 masked carjackers in a stolen BMW who dragged him from the car after he pulled into his garage and drove it away. When violent crime is not confined to poor neighborhoods of color in urban cities but spreads to wealthy suburbs maybe finally even Soros backed D.A.’s will become serious prosecutors and the catch and release policies will come to an end for violent criminals.
On the missing crashed F-35 front, searchers have found its debris field some 80 miles northeast of Charleston and the Marine Corps has taken over the investigation to determine the cause of the crash.
On the entertainment front, Vanna White, the co-host of Wheel of Fortune, will continue to strut across the game board for the 2025-2026 season to the delight of her loyal fans. A-lister actor Mark Wahlberg is going to cut back on his acting and spend more time producing movies..
On the premature estate planning front, after months of acrimonious dispute racking up thousands upon thousands of legal fees on both sides, Kevin Costner and his ex-wife Christine Baumgartner will no longer be fodder for the tabloids as they have reached a settlement agreement, terms of which have not yet been disclosed. Costner hit the nail on the head in declaring in divorce there are no winners but failed to add to the observation “except the lawyers.”
On the strike front Drew Barrymore and Bill Maher who had announced they were going to continue their shows without segments that needed writers and who received a lot of flak from writers and fans calling them scabs have reversed their intentions. On the auto strike front, Trump is skipping the 2nd Red Primary Debate tonight to head to the UAW picket lines to pursue auto workers support.
On the Ukraine War front, Zelensky was addressing the UN Assembly blasting Russian genocidal targeting of civilians with drone and missile attacks and attacking the world’s food supply by preventing Ukrainian grain from reaching world markets.
September 19, 2023 Michael P. Ridley aka The Alaskanpoet
Noted Holidays: National Voter Registration Day: Created by the National Association of Secretaries of State September 25, 2012 and celebrated thereafter of the 4th Tuesday in September until 2022 when the holiday was moved to the 3rd Tuesday of September. The purpose of the holiday is to promote and encourage the registration of voters so they are eligible to vote in elections.
Word of the Day: The word of the day is “auricomous” which means having blond or golden hair.
Song of the Day: The number 1 song on this day in 1987 was “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” by Michael Jackson with Siedah Garrett on a run of 1 week to share number 1 status with 30 other songs achieving number 1 ranking while 16 acts, including Siedah Garrett, achieved number one status for the first time. Here is a video recording with lyrics of Michael Jackson with Siedah Garrett performing “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You”: https://www.google.com/search?q=michael+Jackson+feat.+Siedah+Garrett+i+just+can%27t+stop+loving+you&oq=michael+Jackson+feat.+Siedah+Garrett+i+just+can%27t+stop+loving+you&aqs=chrome..69i57.60582j1j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&bshm=rimc/1#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:0af2a6fa,vid:PHZ1Bii7Uwk,st:0
September 19 Birthdays: “These Boots Are Made For Walking”—Sunita Williams, born on this day in 1965 in Euclid, Ohio to become a U.S. Naval Officer after graduation from the U.S. Naval Academy and an astronaut who with 7 EVA’s once held the record for EVA’s by a female but still holds the record for time spent in EVA’s by a female at 50 hours and 40 minutes.
September 19 Historical Events in Rhyme
1. On this day in 2022 the State Funeral for Elizabeth II took place/Followed by a procession of her coffin to internment with over a million saying goodbye to her grace/The first state funeral since Winston Churchill in 1965/World Wide TV coverage watching England in a class by itself keeping the tradition of pomp and circumstance alive.
2. On this day in 2019 after 3 days of terror of 3 exploding bombs and several unexploded found/The suspect Ahmad Khan Ramini was in a shootout taken down/A lone wolf terrorist/The most difficult to find when they exist/This zealot follower of Al-Qaeda was convicted of 8 federal crimes/Sentenced to life without possible parole to rot in ADX Florence for the rest of his Earthly time.
3. On this day in 2010 the oil spill at the Deep Horizon drilling site/That starting with an explosive blowout on April 10 had leaked net of recovery 3.19 million barrels of oil during the containment fight/Was after many failed attempts to the spill from the well seal/Succeeded but the disaster effects in the form of sticky oil residue in Gulf of Mexico marshlands is still revealed.
4. On this day in 1995 after the U.S. had been terrorized by a series of mail bombs that killed 3 and wounded 23/The Washington Post and the New York Times published the 35,000 word Unabomber Manifesto as the Unabomber had made in known if published he would end his bombing spree/Ted Kaczynski’s brother David’s wife Linda Patrik was one of the readers who recognized writing style to Ted belonged/David after reading letters from him went to the FBI and Ted’s freedom would not in the coming months last long.
5. On this day in 1982/The reign of boring prose was through/Scott Fahlman posted the first documented emoticons :-) and :-( on the Carnegie Mellon University bulletin board/An soon all manner of emoticons like hearts, smile, tears, thumbs up, thumbs down or angry would soon in our emails, posts and tweets be climbing aboard.
Quote on the Unabomber Manifesto by Norwegian Philosopher Ole Martin Moen: “In assessing the effects of technology on human life, Kaczynski considers only the negative effects. This makes him leave out from his inquiry a number of very important facts, such as the fact that prior to the industrial revolution, all countries in the world had a living standard comparable to today's standard in Africa south of the Sahara, and that since the late 18th century, the global average life expectancy at birth has more than doubled. It is hard to deny that these are real improvements and that they were made possible by technologies, perhaps most centrally artificial fertilizers, agricultural machinery, water chlorination, sewer systems, antibiotics, and vaccines. It is also hard to deny that a wide range of other technologies—reading glasses, painkillers, printing presses, light bulbs, pianos, music recordings, trains—have enriched the lives of billions.”
© September 19, 2023 Michael P. Ridley aka The Alaskanpoet
Poems on Events of the Day
Unique Commissioned Poems for Special Events