Ridley's Believe It Or Not—July 11, 2014: Still a meager day for holidays as one prepares for the weekend. Hope you enjoy them with the factoids and a quote on population growth by Dr. Albert Bartlett and have not gained weight so you can fit into your cow costume in order for a free meal at Chick-fil-A.
1. World Population Day—a UN sponsored observance celebrated since 1989 to create awareness of global population issues.
2. Bowdler Day—commemorating the birthday on this day in 1754 of Thomas Bowdler, a physician who hung up his scalpel to embark upon the cleansing from the works of English authors like Shakespeare and Gibbons words deemed indecent or impious, one of the first prudes and the root for a new word of the day “bowdlerize.”
3. Cow Appreciation Day—created as a great marketing ploy by Chick-fil-A to give anyone appearing at their restaurants in a black and white cow costume a free meal—now that is information useful and helpful when you are pinching pennies.
4. Collector Car Appreciation Day—celebrated for five years calling attention to importance of automotive restoration has to the economy.
5. Blueberry Muffin Day—great food idea but don’t offer one to a moose sniffing around your tent if you are camping.
On this day in:
a. 1922 in a great moment for music lovers the Hollywood Bowl was opened.
b. 1962 the first Trans Atlantic satellite transmission occurred.
c. 1977 Martin Luther King, Jr. was posthumously awarded the President Medal of Freedom.
A reflective thought as we approach a global population of 7.3 billion people on this World Population Day: “’Smart growth' destroys the environment.’Dumb growth' destroys the environment. The only difference is that 'smart growth' does it with good taste. It's like booking passage on the Titanic. Whether you go first-class or steerage, the result is the same." --Dr. Albert A. Bartlett, Emeritus Professor of Physics, University of Colorado; World Population Balance Board of Advisors
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join almost 140 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs--click on links below. www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest.
email@example.com www.twitter.com/alaskanpoet www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com Ridley's Believe It Or Not Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times
© July 11, 2014 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet