1. Celebrity Day (Church of Scientology)—celebrating the opening of the Celebrity Center International in Los Angeles on this day in 1970, which, in the Church's words, is "dedicated to the rehabilitation of the culture through art."
2. World Thinking Day—celebrated worldwide by Girl Scouts and Guides since 1926 to promote awareness of the goals of scouting and the empowerment of girls to accomplish their goals.
3. 1964 Number One Song—celebrating the number one song on this day in 1964, as part of a 7 week run I Want to Hold Your Hand by the Beatles.
4. National Margarita Day—if you did not have a reason to head to Mexico to escape the bitter cold, here is another more compelling reason by celebrating the day at a warm beach in Cabo, sipping a margarita and watching the sunset.
5. White Men Don’t Need to Jump to Dunk Day—commemorating the birthday on this day in 1918 of Robert Wadlow, who at his death in 1940 from a parasitic infection stood at 8 feet 11 ½ inches, the tallest man in the world and weighing over 400 pounds.
a. 1732 George Washington was born.
b. 1959 Lee Petty won the first Daytona 500; the race is in the news because of NASCAR’s suspending indefinitely of Kurt Busch for domestic violence.
c. 1974 in an eerie and unpublicized precursor to 911, Samuel Byck tried to highjack a commercial airliner while at the gate and to have it flown into the White House in an attempt to assassinate Richard Nixon; fortunately he failed but killed three people including himself.
d. 1980 at Lake Placid in the Winter Olympics the U.S. Hockey Team accomplished thee Miracle on Ice upsetting the Soviets 4-3 in the semi finals to advance to the finals which they won.
e. 1983 the notorious musical Moose Murders opened on Broadway at the Eugene O’Neill Theater and closed the same day.
Reflections on an idea that Obama needs to heed: “Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession.” George Washington Wise words to heed as the Administration continues to dither in formulating a strategy against radical Islam as the map of the Middle East, Africa and Asia shown on TV is being to look like an outbreak of measles on a child’s body.
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join 155 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest. www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com Ridley's Believe It Or Not Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times
© February 22, 2015 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Rhymes for the Memorable Times
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive a Lasting Lift
Post a Comment