1. Presidents’ Day—celebrating the birthdays in February of the best two presidents that this country has been blessed with—Abraham Lincoln and George Washington.
2. Kyoto Protocol Day—commemorating the ratification of the Kyoto Protocol to in the developed countries but not emerging countries like China to control the emission of CO2 gasses which protocol became effective on this day in 2005.
3. 2015 Number One Song—celebrating until we go back to the 60’s and 70’s rock and roll starting tomorrow the number one song on this day in 2015 and still on the charts today Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson, a three time Grammy Award winning singer from England.
4. National Almond Day—celebrating those great nuts whether raw or in a candy bar.
5. Why Vasectomies Are Great Ideas Day—commemorating the birthday of Kim Song II who has given the world the best example of why idiots should not have children Kim Jong-un, his son and current leader of North Korea.
On this day in
a. 1804 Stephen Decatur led a raid of United States Marines to burn the USS Philadelphia previously captured by Barbary Pirates in Libya which is why the Marine Corps Hymn has the words “To the shores of Tripoli.”
b. 1959 Fidel Castro became Premier of Cuba following the overthrown of Battista
c. 1968 to the relief of many future victims of disaster and medical emergencies, the first 911 service goes into effect in Haleyville, Alabama.
d. 1985 in a sad day for the residents of Gaza and the Israelis living within range, Hezbollah was founded.
e. 2006 the last MASH medical hospital was decommissioned; thank God we were able to enjoy the movie and the TV series before then.
Reflections on the Kyoto Protocol before commiserating with the residents of Boston in this era of “global warming” who are after 7 feet of snow are facing another one foot: “It is becoming increasingly clear that the targets in the Kyoto Protocol cannot and will not be met on the established timetable in the United States and elsewhere.” Eileen Clausen, founder of the Pew Center for Climate and Energy Solutions and like most D.C. bureaucrats has never worked in the private sector. ,
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join 155 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest. www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com Ridley's Believe It Or Not Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times
© February 16, 2015 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Rhymes for the Memorable Times
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive a Lasting Lift
Post a Comment