1. National Battery Day—celebrating by the birthday on this day in 1745 of Allesandro Volta, the inventor of the electric battery—where would we be without them today.
2. Ash Wednesday—commemorating the start of Lent.
3. 1960 Number One Song—celebrating finally the escape from hip hop and rap and a return to rock and roll to remember the number one song on this day in 1960 as part of a two week run was Teen Angel by Mark Dinning; the record sold a million copies but Dinning never replicated Teen Angel’s success.
4. National Drink Wine Day—not sure how this made it as usually many people give up alcohol during Lent.
5. Vowels Are Your Friends Day—commemorating the birthday on this day in 1957 of Vanna White, hostess on the Wheel of Fortune.
On this day in
a. 1954 the first Church of Scientology was established in Los Angeles.
b. 1970 the Chicago Seven were found not guilty of the charge of conspiracy to incite riots at the Chicago Democratic Convention in 1968.
c. 1978 the first Ironman Triathlon was held on Oahu and won by Gordon Haller.
d. 2001 seven time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion Dale Earnhardt was killed in a crash while competing in the Daytona 500.
Reflections on auto racing: Because memory is time folding back on itself. To remember is to disengage from the present. In order to reach any kind of success in automobile racing, a driver must never remember.” Garth Stein, The Art of Racing in the Rain.
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join 155 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest. www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com Ridley's Believe It Or Not Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times© February 18, 2015 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Rhymes for the Memorable Times
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive a Lasting Lift
Post a Comment