On the Hamas Israel War front in
what may or may not be another red line in the sand, Secretary of State Blinken
has warned Iran that if it crosses the line to target American citizens or
armed forces that we would not hesitate to respond (since we are at the bottom
of the barrel on sanctions on Iran who with China is raking in billions in
Iranian oil being sold to it must mean military).
On Hamas Israel War front, thanks to the magic of teleprompters Biden’s speech from the Oval Office drew positive responses with only a few slight coughs instead of his normal lapses and gaffes. Whatever drugs he may have taken to appear alert must have worn off as he and Jill once again retreated to his Delaware beach to recover with walks along the sand. Rapper 50 Cent slammed Biden going MIA on the beach while the world is on the verge of going up in flames as the Washington Post published that 40% of Biden’s trips are personal. (Wouldn’t it be great if Oliver Anthony and 50 Cent made duet on Biden ridiculing his mental impairment and lack of energy?) Israel claims that its airstrikes have claimed 5 Hamas commanders’ lives.
On the Hamas Israel War protesting front, in London thousands gathered to protest the Hamas Israel War and demand a ceasefire while in the U.S. pro-Palestinian and pro-Israel rallies were occurring with 160 protestors arrested in Chicago at a pro-Palestinian rally while at a pro-Israel rally in Skokie, Illinois, a man was surrounded by a group causing him to fire his gun into the air causing them to flee. Ex-Governor Hogan of Maryland has withdrawn his fellowship offer with Harvard over student antisemitism. On the propaganda front, the Palestinians, with the number of Gazans despite all efforts by the IDF to minimize civilian casualties and the MSM erroneous reporting that the IDF bombed the Gaza hospital instead of the errant Hamas rocket, are probably winning the call for a ceasefire war.
On the needed good news front, former Olympics icon Mary Lou Retton is out of ICU after being infected by a rare form of pneumonia that almost killed her and is now at home recovering (No one who scored a gymnastics “10” should ever have to die in an ICU).
On airplane travel front, passengers and crew on an Alaska Airlines flight from Everett to SFO had fear of a lifetime as an off duty Alaska Airlines pilot tried to shut down the engines in flight and failed as the plane was diverted to Portland where the pilot was arrested and charged with 83 counts of attempted murder.
On the Guinness Book of Records front the world’s oldest dog, Bobi, a purebred Rafeiro do Alentejo, has died at the record breaking age of 31 years 165 days after never having been on a leash and eating human food diluted to removed seasonings. Not to be outdone on the feline front Bella, a 14 year old mixed breed cat living in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, U.K. has claimed the Guinness Book of Records for the loudest purr at 54.59 decibels just shy of the noise an average washing machine makes.
On the urban violent crime front Mayor Bowser seeing the writing on the Wall on 2024 election night is pushing Addressing Crime Trends (ACT) Now Act as a small first step in taking the streets of the Swamp back.
On the video is worth more than a thousand words front, a video has surfaced showing a Chinese worker urinating into a tank of ingredients at a Tsingtao Brewery.
October 23, 2023 Michael P. Ridley aka The Alaskanpoet
Noted Holidays: National Croc Day which is not a holiday observance in honor of crocodiles but rather a foamed boat shoes named Crocs which were introduced in 2003 and memorialized by a unknown fan on September 20, 2017 and first celebrated on October 23, 2017. Easy to celebrate by picking a pair of Croc out of your closet and wearing them.
Word of the Day: The word of the day as we continue with words starting with “b” is “bevardage” which means chattering or prattle which in our 24/7 hectic world most people have little time for.
Song of the Day: The number 1 song on this day in 1956 was “Hound Dog/Don’t Be Cruel” by Elvis Presley on a run of 10 weeks non continuous to share number 1 status with 15 other songs achieving number 1 ranking. Here is a recording of Elvis Presley performing “Hound Dog” with lyrics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eHJ12Vhpyc and “Don’t Be Cruel with lyrics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N81IktPflsA
October 23 Birthdays: “May Be Short But to Throw the Hail Mary You Stand Tall”: Celebrating the birth on this day in 1961 of Doug Flutie noted college and professional QB best remembered not for his Heisman trophy but his “hail Mary” pass against Miami with 6 seconds left from the 48 yard into the endzone that was caught by a Boston College player to beat Miami on the day after Thanksgiving. Small in stature at 5’10” but large in scrambling and passing heart to play 21 years in professional football, 1 with the USFL, 12 with the NFL and 8 with the CFL.
October 23 Historical Events in Rhyme
1. On this day in 2022 Xi Jinping was named CCP Party secretary for his 3rd term/Emboldened he is on a path to the U.S. crash and burn/With the U.S. mired in funding two wars/We should be worried that very soon CCP landing craft on Taiwan will coming ashore.
2. On this day in 2002 in Moscow the Palace of Culture was seized/By Chechen separatists who by Russia’s occupation of Chechnya were totally aggrieved/850 hostages were taken as bargaining chips/To force Russia to loosen its on Chechnya repressive grip/In 4 days of negotiations small numbers of hostages were released/But at the end of the 4th day the negotiations ceased/Russian troops with deadly gas assaulted the Palace to the hostages free/Killing all the terrorists and sending to the morgues 140 hostages to see.
3. On this day in 2001, Apple Computer to the public its iPod released/Consumers in the their hands had access to music that would never cease/ 450 million units were sold before in 2022/The iPod came to a well-deserved end.
4. On this day in Beirut in 1983 2 truck bombs exploded near the barracks of the French and U.S. Marines/Deadly blasts that turned barracks into a massacre scene/241 Marines and 58 French Parachutists were blown to smithereens/Largest number of one day Marine deaths since Iwo Jima and French deaths since the Algerian war both nations had seen.
5. On this day in 1940 Franco and Hitler who sent his Condor Legion to bomb his way to win/Met to discuss Spain entering the war on Germany’s side that Franco did not want to be in/Despite Hitlers Spanish Civil War support Franco said no/
Refusal saved a beleaguered England in Egypt as through the Straits of Gibraltar Allied shipping into North Africa could still go.
Quote on the “Hitler’s View on Working with Franco” from Albert Speer’s Diary Entry for 12/26/1950 recalling a conversation with Hitler in January, 1943: “You know my opinion of Franco... We ought to keep these Red Spaniards on the back burner... They're lost to democracy, and to that reactionary crew round Franco too... I believe you to the letter, Speer, that they were impressive people. I must say, in general, that during the civil war the idealism was not on Franco's side; it was to be found among the Reds... one of these days we'll be able to make use of them... The whole thing will start all over again. But with us on the opposite side.”’
© October 23,
2023 Michael P. Ridley aka The Alaskanpoet
Poems on Events of the Day
Unique Commissioned Poems for Special Events