Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For September 8, 2017 Time to get out of Dodge is just about up as Irma has a direct line on Miami and southern Florida (if you know anyone there call and urge them to leave now); Senator Menendez’s trial has started and if found guilty on numerous bribery and corruption counts it is a safe bet that Schumer placing politics ahead of the nation will use every delaying trick in the book to keep him in the Senate so Chris Christie will not be able to replace him; while Hillary continues to prepare for her pay to sign book tour of What Happened new data suggests that her narrow win in New Hampshire was due to non residents voting for her (as her blame game continues unabated several commentators have suggested a better title for the book would be I Was Entitled—when does this delusional felon disappear?); th neWhaapy tobisud gas TAs Irma heads toward Florida growing concern of potential damage it might do to two nuclear power plants operated by Florida Power and Light (FPL has assured the public that it will have plenty of time to properly shut down the plants if threatened by loss of electricity running the reactor cooling pumps); two of the most likely computer projectors show the eye of Irma passing over Miami (complete disaster) and the other passing 40-50 miles off shore to the East (damage but a lot less); Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi on the news channels warning that price gouging would not be tolerated and companies that engaged in the practice would be subject to fines and public scorn from her office that would be destructive to their bottom line and praising the response of Home Depot and Amazon in capping prices and getting needed supplies into South Florida; after cutting a deal with the Blue leadership that prior to its announcement a few hours before RINO Ryan called it disgraceful, RINO Ryan will be having a private dinner meeting with President Trump to be served in all likelihood baked crow; Merkel is feeling the wrath of Germans outrage over her open border policy that has promoted the arrival of 1,000,000 unvetted unassimilated refugees, mainly Muslims into Germany and yesterday felt the sting of tomatoes hitting her in a rally (anger understandable as news of the Palestinian Front for the Liberation of Palestine, a terrorist group backed by Iran, has been given the green light to campaign in the upcoming German elections); after two collisions involving two US Navy ships in the Pacific with two civilian ships, we learn of the disastrous legacy of Obama’s relentless drive to cut back military spending as a recent report details that far too many ships of the 7th Fleet lack the proper certification as to fitness of crew and equipment to accomplish combat missions (really disturbing as we are facing more and more dangers in North Korea and the South China Sea); the left is in another hysteria and demanding that Kid Rock who makes his home in Detroit and is an active philanthropist in the city cancel 8 concerts at Detroit’s Little Caesars Arena because he does not support has been Kaepernick’s refusal to stand for national anthem, supported Trump who provided proof that he had donated $1,000,000 to organizations providing assistance to Harvey victims, and embraces the Confederate Flag; through September 6, 2017 in Chicago the number of people being shot climbed to 2606, and the death toll again on the rise to 447.
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to Vic Damone, factoids of interest for this day in history, a relevant quote on Google by Tim Berners-Lee, hoping your day is free from juggins, secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. Google Commemoration Day—celebrating a search engine that one makes one wonder how the world functioned without it which created a whole new industry, Search Engine Optimization which companies marketing online need to use to make sure their company appears on page one which in my case if one types in Alaskan Poet my blog is the first entry on page one; ditto for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not Alaskan Poet.
2. Beer Lover’s Day—commemorating the art of brewing since colonial times and the exponential explosion of home brewing and micro breweries.
3. 1949 Number One Song— the number one song in 1949 on a run of 4 weeks in that position was “You’re Breaking My Heart” by Vic Damone. Here is a performance of the song in both English and Italian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hGSiN8w1gg
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day is “juggins” which means a simpleton which McConnell, Ryan and other leading RINOs are beginning to look like more and more in dealing with the Trump agenda.
5. Rats Live Short Lives—celebrating the birth on this day in 1923 of Peter Lawford ex-brother-in-law of President JFK and a member of the Sinatra led Rat Pack far too early after years of substance abuse at the early age of 61.
On this day in:
a. 1921 the first Miss America Pageant was held in Atlantic City, New Jersey with Margaret Gorman being the first Miss America. .
b. 1923 the International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL) was founded making it more difficult for criminals to avoid capture merely by fleeing to another country.
c. 1927 Phillip Farnsworth created the first all electric television set and the Boob Tube Age was begun.
d. 1979 the U.S. and Panama signed the Torrijos-Carter Treaty which provided that the U.S. would relinquish its ownership of the Panama Canal and Zone to Panama on December 31, 1999 but retain the right to defend the Panama Canal.
e. 2008 in response to the financial meltdown of the U.S. financial industry, the U.S. seized control of Fanny Mae and Freddie Mac, the two largest mortgage financing companies in the U.S.
Reflections the impact of Google: “The Google algorithm was a significant development. I've had thank-you emails from people whose lives have been saved by information on a medical website or who have found the love of their life on a dating website.” Tim Berners-Lee Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day in History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.
Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For September 24, 2017 All Stanford needed in destroying UCLA 58-34 at the Farm last night was Love, 263 yards of it, and quarterback Costello who was mobile and accurate, not something out of a “Who’s On First” skit; war of words and rhetoric continue unabated between North Korea and the Trump administration; Trump slammed the growing number of NFL players who are refusing to stand during the National Anthem; Puerto Rico will soon receive $ 1 billion to aid in combating Maria’s damage (a mere drop in the proverbial bucket as the island is trying to cope with loss of power and flooding); Germany is voting today with Merkel expected to win despite growing concern over the 1 million refugees her administration has admitted into the country; through September 22, 2017 2778 people have been shot in Chicago, of whom 478 have died.
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to the Association, factoids of interest for this day in history, a relevant quote by Marlee Matlin on being deaf, looking forward to keeping if unfortunate enough to have it your kenophobia in check, blessed with a positive attitude and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. National Punctuation Day—created by Jeff Rubin in 2004 to promote the correct and proper punctuation in all our written communications.
2. World Deaf Day—celebrated on the last Sunday of September to promote awareness of the needs of the deaf and to promote the learning of sign language by the deaf.
3. Number One Song in 1966—celebrating the number 1 song in 1966 on a run of 3 weeks in that position “Cherish” by the Association. Here is a link to the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hysdyVGpsE
4. Word of the Day—the word of the day is “kenophobia” which is the fear of empty spaces.
5. CNN Pain Fox Gain--celebrating the birth on this day in 1945 of Lou Dobbs, noted financial journalist who after many years left CNN to join the Fox Business Channel.
On this day in:
1. 1664 the Dutch surrendered New Amsterdam in New York to England.
2. 1852 the first airship powered by a steam engine created by Henri Giffard traveled 17 miles from Paris to Trappes.
3. 1890 the Church of the Latter Day Saints officially renounced polygamy.
4. 1979 CompuServe launched the first commercial internet email service.
5. 2015 1100 people are killed during a stampede in a Hijj and another 934 wounded in Saudi Arabia.
Reflections on deafness and the responsibilities of people who can hear: I hope I inspire people who hear. Hearing people have the ability to remove barriers that prevent deaf people from achieving their dreams.” Marlee Matlin noted American deaf actress who become deaf at 18 months. Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.
© September 24, 2017, Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskan
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift
Sunday, September 24, 2017
September 24, 2017 Ridley's Believe It Or Not World Deaf Day
Posted by Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet at 8:24 AM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment