Ridley's Believe It Or Not—December 7, 2014: Trust your Sunday is off to a great note. As always I hope you enjoy the holidays and observances, factoids and a quote from President George W. Bush, with a smile on your sunscreened face, knowing it may not be the day to enjoy a some cotton candy, blessed with a positive attitude even though you know you will have to wade through tons of spam in your inbox, and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for a memorable event or the coming Christmas, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day—observing that day of infamy on December 7, 1941 when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor killing over 2,000 and pushed the Greatest Generation into World War II.
2. International Civil Aviation Day—a UN sanctioned observance commemorating the signing of the Convention on Civil Aviation on December 7, 1944 which sets forth the procedures which have helped make this planet a much smaller place by promoting international civil aviation.
3. National Cotton Candy Day—like National Gazpacho Day observed yesterday this is a holiday best noted for the Southern Hemisphere as no one unless in Southern California or Florida in the winter is going to want to go to an amusement park to enjoy the rides and have some cotton candy.
4. 1960 Number One Song—celebrating the number one song on this day in 1960 Are You Lonesome Tonight by the one and only Elvis Presley.
5. Cat’s in the Cradle Day—celebrating the birthday of a great song writer, singer and humanitarian Harry Chapin, born on this day in 1942 tragically killed in an automobile accident way too soon in 1981. His epitaph from one of his songs:
Oh if a man tried To take his time on Earth
And prove before he died What one man's life could be worth
I wonder what would happen to this world
Great words to live by as we enjoy our short term lease of life on this planet.
On this day in
a. 1930 the first television commercial one from Fox Furriers was broadcast by W1XAV in Boston.
b. 1963 in a moment that all zebras would learn to either rue or be congratulated for making the right call, instant replay was instituted for the first time at the Army-Navy football game.
c. 1972 Apollo 17, the last Apollo mission to the Moon was launched, ending an era of U.S. lunar exploration.
d. 1988 in a what-took-you-so-long moment, Yasser Arafat recognized the right of Israel to exist.
e. 1999 A&M Records sued Napster for copyright infringement arising out of its peer to peer sharing.
Reflections on Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day: “Today at Pearl Harbor, veterans are gathering to pay tribute to the young men they remember who never escaped the sunken ships. And over the years, some Pearl Harbor veterans have made a last request. They ask that their ashes be brought down and placed inside the USS Arizona. After the long lives given them, they wanted to rest besides the best men they ever knew. Such loyalty and love remain the greatest strength of the United States Navy.” President George W. Bush, Pearl Harbor Day 2001 Amen to that as we will need these strengths more than ever as more an more ships are being mothballed and not replaced due to budget cuts while the Chinese navy continues to expand.
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join almost 150 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest. www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com Ridley's Believe It Or Not Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times © December 7, 2014 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare Rhymes on the Memorable Times The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive a Lasting Lift
Post a Comment