Ridley's Believe It Or Not—December 3, 2014: Trust your hump day is proving to be a great one. As always I hope you enjoy the holidays and observances, factoids and a quote from an incredible woman, Helen Keller, with a smile on your sunscreened face, wondering if this is the day you will enjoy a slice of apple pie, blessed with a positive attitude even though you know you will have to wade through tons of spam in your inbox, and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for a memorable event or the coming Christmas, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. International Day for Persons with Disability—observing since 1992 a UN observance to promote awareness of those among us who are emotionally or physically challenged; if you are not a time to be very grateful.
2. Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lighting Day—observed since 1933 involving a Christmas tree up to 100 feet high and festooned with enough lights to make even the most Scrooge among us wonder with awe at the beauty.
3. Special Kids Day—celebrated since 1990 as a holiday event for kids with disabilities and their families to visit with Santa Claus and for those of us not to recognize and appreciate how precious life and good health is.
4. 1969 Number One Song—celebrating the number one song on this day in 1969 Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye by Steam.
5. National Apple Pie Day—celebrating a great way to end a meal; a slice of apple pie with ice cream or some cheddar cheese---as American as a meal can be.
On this day in
a. 1910 in a precursor to Las Vegas moment, neon lighting was demonstrated by Georges Claude at the Paris Motor Show.
b. 1964 during the Free Speech Movement at UC Berkeley police arrested over 800 protestors who had occupied University buildings.
c. 1992 to the dismay of parents of future generations, a test engineer at the Sema Group using his personal computer sent the first text message via the Vodafone network to a colleague.
d. 1994 Sony released the Playstation in Japan.Reflections on disability: “It has been said that life has treated me harshly; and sometimes I have complained in my heart because many pleasures of human experience have been withheld from me…if much has been denied me, much, very much, has been given me…” Helen Keler, The Open Door Amazing women and a shining example of what we as humans can do to overcome obstacles that face us in our lives.
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join almost 150 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest. www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com Ridley's Believe It Or Not Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times
© December 3, 2014 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Rhymes on the Memorable Times
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive a Lasting Lift
Post a Comment