Ridley's Believe It Or Not—September 25. 2014: Trust your Thursday is proving to be a good one and that you enjoy the holidays and factoids and quote from Smedley Butler with a smile on your sunscreened face, with a trip to your favorite restaurant for a crab newburg in the works, blessed with a positive attitude, and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for a memorable event, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem tailored to the event and the recipient.
1. International Ataxia Awareness Day—observed to promote awareness and research for ataxia a neurological diseases the adversely impacts the body’s ability to control muscle movement.
2. World Maritime Day--celebrating the contribution of the maritime industry to the global economy—observed since 1978.
3. One Hit Wonder Day—honoring the musical equivalent of Andy Warhol’s 15 minutes of fame—those musical artists who had one song of the top 40 and one only.
4. Stream Of Conscious Day—celebrating the birthday on this day in 1897 of William Faulkner winner of the Nobel Prize for literature but spent his early years writing poetry.
5. National Crab Newburg Day—celebrating one of my favorite seafood dishes but only if it is made with real crab and not the imitation.
On this day in
a.1789 Congress passed the first ten amendments to the Constitution known as the Bill of Rights.
b.1890 Congress established Sequoia National Park—If you like Redwoods this is the place to visit.
c. 1911 construction was commenced on Fenway Park in Boston.
d. 1956 TAT-1 the first transatlantic submarine telephone cable was completed.
If you are going to fight make sure the fight is worth it: “There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights.” Smedley Butler noted Marine Corps Major General who at the time of his death in 1940 was the most decorated Marine in U.S. history.
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join almost 150 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs--click on links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest.
© September 25, 2014 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Rhymes on the Memorable Times
The Perfect Gift, All Spirits to Receive the Perfect Lift