Ridley's Believe It Or Not—September 15. 2014: Trust your weekend was a great one and your Monday is proving to be a good one and that you enjoy the holidays and factoids and quote from Sandra Day O’Connor with a plate of linguine in your hand, a smile on your sunscreened face, a positive attitude, secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for a memorable event, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem tailored to the event and the recipient. Another shutout win for the Cardinal against Army with a tough game against Washington on the 27th. Tough loss for the Trojans against Boston College.
1. Free Money Day—celebrated on the anniversary of Lehman Brothers filing for bankruptcy on this day in 2008; easy to participate—just give two coins or bills to a stranger and ask him or her to keep one and hand the other to another person.
2. Respect of the Aged Day—celebrating those who have entered the winters of their lives.
3. Battle of Britain Day—commemorating the turning point of the Battle of Britain in favor of the Few against the Luftwaffe on this day in 1940.
4. World Lymphoma Day—creating awareness and promoting research for a cancer that affects over a million people worldwide with 1,000 new cases each day.
5. National Linguine Day—celebrating one of my favorite dishes, especially when served with clams in a white sauce with garlic.
On this day in
a. 1935 the Nuremberg Laws were enacted in Germany, depriving Jewish citizens of their German citizenship.
b. 1959 Nikita Khrushchev became the first Soviet premier to visit the United States; his trip is best remembered for his tirade at the U.N. while pounding his shoe.
c. 1978 Muhammad Ali outpointed Leon Spinks at the Superdome to become the first heavyweight boxer in history to win the championship title three times.
d. 1981 the Senate confirmed the nomination of Stanford grad Sandra Day O’Connor to the Supreme Court, making her the first woman Justice.
Another reason why we need fewer lawyers and more poets: “The courts of this country should not be the places where resolution of disputes begins. They should be the places where the disputes end after alternative methods of resolving disputes have been considered and tried.” Sandra Day O’Connor Absolutely she is right on point!
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join almost 150 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs--click on links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest.
© September 12 2014 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Rhymes on the Memorable Times
The Perfect Gift, All Spirits to Receive the Perfect Lift
Post a Comment