Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For May 5, 2017 The House with not a single Blue vote passed the AHCA which Blues are touting as Trumpcare and were acting like a bunch of immature teenagers on the House floor high fiving and singing the funeral song at the end of We Are the Titans and waving goodbye to the Reds; the bill faces an uncertain future in the Senate but at least through reconciliation only a simple majority is needed (given the obstruction McConnell knew he would face from Schumer and his lackeys, why he didn’t use the nuclear option so Trump could have lead with tax cuts and repatriation of earnings which would have this country surging that would have blown the Blues out of the water will remain a mystery); Kim Jong Un in another show of instability after warning China of grave consequences is ranting that the CIA and South Korea are plotting to assassinate him with biochemical weapons ( please let it be true and successful); Butler which was to offer a course on how to resist the Trump agenda has been caught up in a wave of backlash from the deplorables on campus and more importantly deplorable alum donors and parents paying tuition and has toned the attack mode down (bears watching to if only syllabus window dressing); Red lawmakers outraged by Obama’s hypocrisy to sucking down $400,000 a speech will introduce a bill to reduce his pension dollar for dollar after he makes $400,000 (why a former president should be treated differently than some one who has not reached full retirement age for social security benefits is so typical of the Swamp disconnect);in the largest public bankruptcy resulting from runaway government spending and a failing tourist economy, Puerto Rico defaulted on 73 billion dollars of debt and has filed for bankruptcy; almost like a stuck record or a remake of Groundhog Day, Chicago style, the carnage in Chicago continued unabated in May with total shootings in 2017 through May 4 increasing to 1073 with the death toll stuck for the last three days at 183 (God help those poor minorities being shot mostly by minorities when the weather gets warmer and the shooters’ aim gets really better due to some time on the firing range and there is more daylight to find and shoot victims) and yet nothing, absolutely nothing, appears to be occurring to address this blight on blacks and minorities which is what racism from a black mayor really looks like who appears to care only about the rights of illegal aliens in his sanctuary city (when will Chicago residents through the city council try to impeach this pathetic, inept mayor who seems not to care that 90 percent of the homicides occurring in his city do not result in arrest ?).
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to Avril Lavigne, factoids of interest for this day in history, happy that your marriage is not a wittolic one, a relevant quote from an anonymous source, secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. Cinco de Mayo—celebrating in Mexico the victory of Mexican forces over the French at the Battle of Puebla in 1862 by 4,000 Mexican soldiers outnumbered 2 to 1 but the victory was short lived as French forces soon thereafter routed the Mexicans and occupied Mexico City. In the U.S. the holiday celebrates Mexican American culture and comes in at 7 on the 10 list of alcohol consumed topping number 10 St. Patrick’s Day.
2. International Space Day—created by Lockheed Corporation in 1997 to encourage American youth to enter the fields of math and science and expanded by John Glenn in 2001 to become an international observance.
3. 2007 Number One Song—celebrating the number one song in 2007 on a run of 1 week in that position “Girlfriend” by Avril Lavigne. Here is a recording of Avril Lavigne on a full head of steam performing the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg59q4puhmg (refreshing not to have to listen to rap like we have been in the last few days).
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day is “wittol” who is a man who knows of yet tolerates his wife’s infidelity.
5. Embellishment Is Not Your Friend—celebrating the birth on this day in 1959 of noted news broadcaster and anchor but like Hillary’s need to embellish her trips to Iraq stated she was under fire, he falsely claimed being in a helicopter that was shot down in Iraq and was forced to resign as anchor of NBC Nightly News.
On this day in:
a. 1835 the first railway in Europe opened between Brussels and Mechelen.
b. 1866 the first Memorial Day was celebrated at Waterloo, New York.
c. 1973 in a take this slogan and shove it, Secretariat won the Kentucky Derby in a record setting win that still stands 1:59:4 (so much for “The Greatest Two Minutes in Sports.)
d. 1994 teenager Michael Fay gained an unwelcome notoriety and some pain for stealing from a Singapore hotel and sentenced to 6 strokes of the cane later reduced to four and carried out.
e. 2010 mass protests erupted in Greece as thousands protested the imposition of severe austerity measures due to the public debt crisis there.
Reflections on Cinco de Mayo and St. Patrick’s Day with no insults intended to our hard working Mexican-Americans: “The only difference between drinking on St. Patrick’s and Cinco de Mayo is that no one pretends to be Mexican American.” Anon Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day in History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History. © May 5, 2017, Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift
Post a Comment