1. International Holocaust Remembrance Day—observed since 2005 but sadly we continue to witness genocide since the evils of the Nazis from Bosnia to Cambodia to Rwanda to the ISIS in Iraq.
2. Vietnam Peace Day—commemorating the signing on this day in 1973 of the Paris Accords ending the agony of American involvement in the Vietnam War.
3. 1996 Number One Song—celebrating the number one song on this day in 1996 as part of a 16 week run One Fine Day by Mariah Carey and BoyzII.
4. National Chocolate Cake Day—celebrating with or without ice cream, a great desert.
5. Lakers Day—celebrating the birthday on this day in 1933 of Jerry Buss the owner of the Los Angeles Lakers who watched his last Kobe Bryant jump shot on February 18, 2013.
On this day in
a. 1785 the first public university in the United States, the University of Georgia, was founded.
b. 1888 the U.S. National Geographic Society was founded.
c. 1967 in a dark day for the U.S. space program astronauts Grissom, White and Chaffee were burned to death on the launch pad at the Kennedy Space Center.
d. 1984 during the filming of a Pepsi commercial at the Shrine Auditorium, Michael Jackson burnt his scalp.
e. 2011 the Yemeni Revolution as part of the Arab Spring began with massive demonstrations in the nation’s capital; four years later the president and his cabinet has just resigned destroying Obama’s claim that our efforts in Yemen were a success.
Reflections on the Holocaust and why genocide must never, ever occur again: “Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander.” Yehuda Bauer, noted Czech born Israeli scholar of the Holocaust.
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join 155 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest. www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com Ridley's Believe It Or Not Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times
© January 27, 2015 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Rhymes for the Memorable Times
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive a Lasting Lift