Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For February 22, 2017 As the stock market rises to new highs and small business optimism rises to new highs over Trump’s ideas of tax cuts and regulatory reform despite the Schumer’s minions doing everything in their tooth and nail pocket to delay, Maxine Waters wins the rabid ideologue rhetoric prize for swamp denizen of the day by calling all of Trump’s cabinet nominees “scumbags” (Pelosi call this pathetic creature into your office for a “woodshed” discussion); in a world that sees Stockholm up in flames by rioting “refugees”, China putting missiles on islands created by them in the South China Sea, and escalating bloodshed in eastern Ukraine thanks to the number one thug in Europe Putin, the news headline is the fight over transgender bathrooms—some sanity as Trump administration will reverse federal requirements that user can go into bathrooms that comports to his or her sexual identity as opposed to biological identity and leave it up to the states; like so many Blues in denial mode, Podesta is still playing the blame game over Hillary’s loss due to her being a completely failed and pathetic candidate out of touch with the mere mortals suffering under 8 years of Obama and blaming the FBI conspiring against her; in just another example of complete lack of accountability and potential fraud, news today of a $1billion paid out to Social Security recipients with no Social Security numbers (not my problem even if concerns that the system will be bankrupt); in yet another sad example of rampant and maybe growing anti-Semitism, Nancy Salem a preschool teacher in Texas has been fired for tweeting a need to kill more Jews (totally outrageous thoughts); finally on the good news front two pet owners in Texas who were arrested for shoplifting told officers that they had a Chihuahua puppy in their car causing police to investigate where they found a puppy in near fatal overdose mode from chewing on heroin the owners had left in the car and saved him by taking him the to the hospital; the carnage in Chicago continues unabated through February 21, rising to 483 shootings with the aim getting better so the total dead has risen to 89 (God help those poor minorities being shot mostly by minorities when the weather gets warmer and the shooters’ aim gets really better and there is more daylight.
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to Artie Shaw, factoids of interest for this day in history, a relevant quote from Herb Brooks, while bemoaning that you are not in England enjoying a waygoose, blessed with a positive attitude and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. European Day for Victims of Crime—created by the EU in 2012 to promote rights of and compensation to victims of crime which given the massive influx of unvetted and unassimilated “refugees” as one has seen in Stockholm becoming the new rape capital of the world will probably only increase.
2. International World Thinking Day—celebrating a day which coincides with the birthdays of Lord Baden-Powell and Lady Olave Baden-Powell founders of the Boy Scouts and Girl Guides (precursor to the Girl Scouts) to contemplate on issues that affect young women.
3. 1941 Number One Song—celebrating the number one song in 1941 on a long run of 13 weeks in that position “Frensi” by the Artie Shaw. Here is a recording of the Artie Shaw performing the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMOHMYl5BCs
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day is “waygoose” which is a summer party usually in England by a printing house for its employees as opposed to a fowl flying away.
5. Why We Endure Keeping Up—celebrating or bemoaning the birth on this day in 1944 of Robert Kardashian noted lawyer, father of the Kardashians and friend to O.J. Simpson, believe by the prosecution to have disposed of his bloody clothes after the murder of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman and who like many smokers died of cancer this time of esophageal 8 weeks after diagnosis.
On this day in:
a. 1819 to the joy of future New Yorkers and Canadian snowbirds, pursuant to the Adams-Onis Treaty Spain sold Florida to the United States for $5 million.
b. 1856 the Republican Party opened its first national convention in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (one can only imagine those present rolling in their graves over the Trump Phenomenon).
c. 1924 President Calvin Coolidge became the first president to deliver a radio address from the White House.
d. 1980 at the Winter Olympics at Lake Placid, New York, the USA Hockey Team in what has been called the “Miracle on Ice” defeated in the semi-finals the Soviet Union 4-3 to advance and win the Gold Medal.
e. 1997 Scottish scientists in Roslin, Scotland announced that they had successfully cloned a sheep named Dolly.
Reflections on dreaming from the coach of the winning Miracle on Ice Team: “We should be dreaming. We grew up as kids having dreams, but now we're too sophisticated as adults, as a nation. We stopped dreaming. We should always have dreams.” Herb Brooks, coach of the USA 1980 Hockey Team No wonder Trump won and despite the media flack and Blue obstruction the market is shooting to the moon, adding over $2 trillion in wealth after his election. Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.
© February 22, 2017, Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift
Post a Comment