Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For October 15, 2018 De Niro is back on the anti-Trump rant with an appearance of what hopefully will be a short lived show The Alec Baldwin Show: Trump and Melania are in Florida observing the devastation inflicted by Hurricane Michael; Elizabeth Warren released her DNA test results which showed trace amounts of American Native DNA well below the threshold to merit federal aid or affirmative action status for hiring preference (so Pocahontas claim by Trump still has some merit); in Georgia Stacey Abrams running for governor as a Blue articulated the Reds’ worst nightmare that the Blue Wave will include illegal aliens at the polls (real issue that the MSM ignores and what potentially is the real threat to our democracy in an era where if you register for a driver’s license in states like California, you are automatically registered to vote); Trump was in rare form on 60 Minutes blasting the bias of the MSM and defending his attempts at improved relationships with Putin and Kim; Sears once an icon in the retail world has filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy; Merkel’s allies in Germany are getting clobbered in regional elections as more and more Germans are reacting adversely to her refugee admission open door policies; Emanuel’s announcement that he will not seek reelection has not curbed the gun violence as through October 13, 2018, 2427 people mostly of color have been shot by mostly people of color, of whom 402 have died (when will Chicago get serious about this carnage or is this the case of true racism as a Blue run city turns a deaf ear and a blind eye to the slaughter of mostly people of color by mostly people of color).
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to T.I. feat Rihanna, factoids of interest for this day in history, the fact that on weekends you are a nemophilist and a relevant quote from Huey Newton on Black Power, secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like college graduations, birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. Global Handwashing Day—created by the Global Handwashing Partnership in 2008 to promote awareness of the health and disease prevention benefits of frequent handwashing benefits.
2. White Cane Safety Day—created by Congress on October 6. 1964 to promote awareness of the accomplishments of blind and visually impaired persons.
3. 2008 Number One Song— the number one song in 2008 on a run of 6 weeks in that position was “Live Your Life” by T.I. feat. Rihanna. Here is a recording of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY6mr9fO-9M
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day as we move from words beginning with “m” to words beginning with “n” is “nemophilist” which means one who is in love with the woods, a term that describes Sierra Club members to a tee.
5. Mustang Lido—celebrating the birth on this day in 1924 of Lido Ioccoca better known as Lee Ioccoca who at Ford introduced the Mustang and served as Ford’s president for 8 years before leaving to revitalize Chrysler.
On this day in:
a. 1966 the Black Panther Party was created by Bobby Seale and Huey Newton.
b. 1969 in the Moratorium to End the Vietnam War over 2,500,000 march to end the war with 250,000 converging on Washington, D.C.
c. 1990 Mikhail Gorbachev was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
d. 2008 the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 733.08 points the second worst fall in its history following the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers.
e. 2016 in a win one for the opponents of global warming 197 nations amended the Montreal Protocol to phase out the use of hydroflorocarbons which contribute to global warming.
Reflections on the Black Panther Party: “Black Power is giving power to people who have not had power to determine their destiny.” Huey Newton
Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day in History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to www.Alaskanpoethistory.blogspot.com for just This Day in History.
© October 15, 2018 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift