As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to Ciara feat. Petey Pablo, factoids of interest for this day in history, the fact that the you are not in need of a necrologue and a relevant quote from Jan Masaryk on the Munich Agreement, secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like college graduations, birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. World Mental Health Day—created by the World Mental Health Foundation in 1992 to promote awareness of the needs for mental health programs and education to combat stigma for those suffering mental health issues..
2. World Homeless Day—created in 2010 to promote awareness of the problems facing the homeless on this planet.
3. 2004 Number One Song— the number one song in 2004 on a run of 7 weeks in that position was “Goodie’” by Ciara feat. Petey Pablo. Here is a recording of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtC92pzp5vw
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day as we move from words beginning with “m” to words beginning with “n” is “necrologue” which is an obituary which hopefully you are in a state of health that it is not necessary to start writing it today.
5. A True Ironman—celebrating the birth on this day in 1969 of former NFL great Brett Favre who as a Packer started 207 games, a NFL record, and who is now an advocate for greater attention to brain injuries suffered by players.
On this day in:
a. 1938 in a classic example of why appeasement does not work the Sudetenland was ceded to Nazi Germany.
b. 1967 the Outer Space Treaty banning the placement of nuclear weapons in outer space came into effect after being signed by 60 nations.
c. 1971 after being sold, dismantled and moved, the London Bridge opened in Lake Havasu, Arizona.
d. 1973 Vice President Spiro Agnew resigned after being charged with evasion of federal income taxes.
e. 1985 U.S. Naval F-14 fighter jets intercept an Egyptian Air Flight carrying hijackers of the Achille Lauro and forced it to land in Sicily where they are arrested.
Reflections on the appeasement to Hitler in 1938 at Muncih: “If you have sacrificed my nation to preserve the peace of the world, I will be the first to applaud you. But if not, gentlemen, God help your souls."Czechoslovakian foreign minister Jan Masaryk to Lord Halifax as reaction to announcement of allies' betrayal in 1938.
Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day in History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to www.Alaskanpoethistory.blogspot.com for just This Day in History.
© October 10, 2018 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift
Post a Comment