Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For June 28, 2018 Five people have been killed and several wounded at the newsroom of the Capital Gazette in Annapolis, Maryland with the suspect in custody; Blue representative from Washington Jayapal was among the hundreds arrested while protesting at the Capitol for the elimination of ICE and against Trump’s zero tolerance policies on illegal immigration; disturbing news that North Korea is continuing construction of a nuclear research facility and a glimpse of how bad it is in the Hermit Kingdom as Kim orders the execution on an officer who gave his soldiers extra rations of food; the co-chair of Women for Trump reported receiving death threats as a result of her appearance on CNN; Rosenstein and Wray were grilled today by House Intel Committee members in an acrimonious hearing over FBI and DOJ refusals to turn over subpoenaed documents bringing us nearer to holding the two in contempt of Congress and impeachment (Trump needs to order the FBI and DOJ to turn over all documents requested and do it now); on the weapons front the Air Force is retiring its Predator drone force and replacing it with Reaper drones which can carry more payload; in Chicago through June 27, 2018, 1360 people mostly of color have been shot by mostly people of color, of whom 214 have died (when will Chicago get serious about this carnage or is this the case of true racism as a Blue run city turns a deaf ear and a blind eye to the slaughter of people of color by people of color?).
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to Nelly, factoids of interest for this day in history, the fact you are mediagenic; a relevant quote from Gilda Radner on being a woman, secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like college graduations, birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. International Body Piercing Day—celebrating a practice that has been around for over 5,000 years and is growing in popularity today..
2. Insurance Awareness Day—celebrating the great gamble people are often faced with whether to buy insurance to protect themselves or their property if something goes wrong or not buying it on the assumption that nothing will go wrong.
3. 2002 Number One Song— the number one song in 2002 on a run of 7 weeks in that position was “Not In Here” by Nelly. Here is a recording of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeZZr_p6vB8
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day is “mediagenic” which means able to present a good image to the media which given the bias of the MSM Trump has a great deal of difficulty.
5. Magnificent Seven—celebrating the birthday on this day in 1946 of Gilda Radner, on the the original seven cast members of Saturday Night Live, best remembered for her character Roseannadanna but was a smoker and died way too early from ovarian cancer on May 29, 1989.
On this day in:
a. 1950 North Korean soldiers massacred 700-900 doctors, nurses and wounded South Korean soldiers at the Seoul National University Hospital.
b. 1978 SCOTUS in the case of Regents of the Universtiy of California v.Bakke barred quotas in university admissions.
c. 1987 for the first time in military history, civilians were targeted with chemical weapons when Iraqi warplanes bombed the Iranian village of Sardasht.
d. 1997 Mike Tyson was disqualified in the third round of his heavyweight championship fight with Evander Holyfield for biting off a piece of Holyfield’s ear.
e. 2001 Sloboban Mikosevic was extradited to stand trial in the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia to stand trial for war crimes for which he escaped sentencing by dying of a heart attack in prison during his trial.
Reflections on being a woman: “I'd much rather be a woman than a man. Women can cry, they can wear cute clothes and they're the first to be rescued off sinking ships.” Gilda Radner
Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day in History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.
© June 28, 2018 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift