Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For June 26, 2018 SCOTUS has ruled 5-4 that Trump’s travel ban is constitutional and by the same margin overturned California’s law that pregnancy centers must also provide information on abortion; on the midterm political front, Reds may be losing their lightening rod against the Blues flipping the House as a growing number of Blue candidates are publically coming out against Nancy Pelosi if they are elected (wonder if Blue Senate candidates will follow suit against Chuck Schumer as a campaign ploy); Maxine Waters, the pied piper of hate and harassment shows signs of going over the edge by yelling at reporters questioning her today and refusing to answer questions on her call for harassment (Judicial Watch has filed a complaint with the Ethics Committee that has the power to remove her from the House and her opponent Omar Navarro is campaigning hard against her harassment call of Trump officials); in a better late than never moment Trump awarded the Medal of Honor to Lt. Garland Muril Connor for services during World War II; in another example of firearms saving lives, a mother shot a man who had traveled from New Zealand to meet her 14 year old daughter and had broken into their house; in Chicago through June 25, 2018, 1343 people mostly of color have been shot by mostly people of color, of whom 213 have died (when will Chicago get serious about this carnage or is this the case of true racism as a Blue run city turns a deaf ear and a blind eye to the slaughter of people of color by people of color?).
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to Enrique Iglesias, factoids of interest for this day in history, the fact that hypocrisy in the Swamp is easily meable; a relevant quote from Babe Didriksen Zaharias on competition, secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like college graduations, birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking—created by the General Assembly in 1987 and celebrated since June 26, 1989 to promote the fight against illegal drug use.
2. International Day of Support for Victims of Torture—created by UN General Assembly to promote awareness of and to combat torture that occurs in far too many nations.
3. 2000 Number One Song— the number one song in 2000 on a run of 3 weeks in that position was “Be With You” by Enrique Iglesias. Here is a recording of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yO1-B_0nGQ
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day is “meable” which means easily penetrable which describes the hypocrisy often seen in the Swamp.
5. Triple Threat—celebrating the birthday on this day in 1911 of a woman considered the best athlete of the century who excelled in baseball, track and field and golf, Babe Didriksen Zaharias but could not outdrive or outrun colon cancer and died on September 25, 1956.
On this day in:
a. 1963 President John F. Kennedy in Berlin in support of West Germany gave his famous “Ich bin ein Berliner” speech after East Germany had erected the Berlin Wall.
b. 1974 the Universal Product Code on a package of Wrigley’s Chewing Gum was scanned for the first time at the Marsh Supermarket in Troy, Ohio.
c. 1977 Elvis Presley held his last concert in Indianapolis, Indiana at the Market Square Arena.
d. 2013 SCOTUS ruled that the Defense of Marriage Act was unconstitutional.
e. 2015 SCOTUS ruled that same sex couples have a constitutional right to marry.
Reflections on competition: ““My main idea in any kind of competition always has been to go out there and cut loose with everything I've got. I've never been afraid to go up against anything. I've always had the confidence that I was capable of winning out.” Babe Didriksen Zaharias
Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day in History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.
© June 26, 2018 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift