Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For June 27, 2018 SCOTUS has ruled 5-4 that public sector union members cannot be forced to pay union dues which potentially will cripple them as a major source of funding for the Democratic Party; Justice Kennedy has announced his retirement from SCOTUS which really ups the ante in the midterms and makes it critical for the Reds to retain control of the Senate (wonder when Ginsburg will retire); the obstructionist in chief Chuck Schumer has thrown down the gauntlet demanding that the Senate observe the Biden Rule and also reject any justice that is pro life; it may be a slim hope but signs of demanding a return of civility are being echoed by Fox stars against the crowd heckling Jim Acosta and Chuck Schumer, Bill Clinton and the cast members of The View condemning Maxine Waters for her call to push Trump nominees out of public places; President Trump has confirmed that he will probably holding a Summit Meeting in July with Putin (just another reason to end the Mueller witch-hunt that has dogged this presidency); on the immigration front the House rejected an immigration compromise bill with 100 Republicans joining the Blues in voting no; Bill Shine an Executive with Fox News has agreed to become Trump’s communications director; in Chicago through June 26, 2018, 1347 people mostly of color have been shot by mostly people of color, of whom 213 have died (when will Chicago get serious about this carnage or is this the case of true racism as a Blue run city turns a deaf ear and a blind eye to the slaughter of people of color by people of color?).
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to Christina Aguilar, Lil’ Kim, Mya, and Pink, factoids of interest for this day in history, the fact your child’s meconium is a distant memory; a relevant quote from Danielle Bernock on PTSD, secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like college graduations, birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. National PTSD Awareness Day—created by the Senate in 2010 to promote awareness of Post Trauma Stress Disorder which affects a significant portion of the nation’s population and larger percentages of combat veterans.
2. National HIV Testing Day—celebrated first on this day in 1995 and created to promote the need for people to test for the presence of the HIV virus to be able to start treatment and observe preventive practices.
3. 2001 Number One Song— the number one song in 2001 on a run of 5 weeks in that position was “Lady Marmalade” by Christina Aguilera, Lil’ Kim, Mya and Pink. Here is a recording of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQa7SvVCdZk
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day is “meconium” which means the first feces of a new born child to herald the start of diaper changing chores.
5. All Ears—celebrating the birthday on this day in 1930 of one of the most successful third party candidates Ross Perot who founded Electronic Data Systems which he sold to General Motors for $2.5 billion.
On this day in:
a. 1950 after previously indicating that South Korea was not in our sphere of interest which prompted North Korea to invade South Korea on June 25, 1950 the United States elected to send troops to fight on the Korean Peninsula.
b. 1971 after only three years in operation, rock promoter Bill Graham closed Fillmore East, the “Church of Rock and Roll.”
c. 1981 the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China issued a report blaming the Cultural Revolution of Mao Zedong.
d. 2007 Tony Blair stepped down as Prime Minister of Great Britain after serving in that capacity since 1997.
e. 2017 a series of cyber attacks using the malware Petya infected computers of Ukranian government and organizations.
Reflections on trauma and PTSD: “Trauma is personal. It does not disappear if it is not validated. When it is ignored or invalidated the silent screams continue internally heard only by the one held captive. When someone enters the pain and hears the screams healing can begin.” Danielle Bernock, Emerging with Wings: A /True Story of Lies, Pain and the Love That Heals
Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day in History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.
© June 27, 2018 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift