Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For June 25, 2018 Maxine Waters has gone off the hatred and bias deep end with the clarion call to harass Trump administration workers and voters whenever they appear in public yet the top Blues are silent over this over the top rhetoric blowing the dog whistles of violence and hate; on the gerrymandering front SCOTUS upheld the redistricting plan drawn up by the Republican Texas legislature to the dismay of liberals on the court and groups like the ACLU; Turkey has voted and the results are giving Erdogan even more power while Trump and FLOTUS are welcoming the King of Jordan to the White House; collateral damage from the increased tariffs announced by the White House against the EU was witnessed as Harley Davidson in reaction to retaliatory tariffs imposed by the EU has announced it will shift some of its production outside the U.S.; on the World Cup front host Russia lost to Uruguay; on the immigration front plans are set to move illegal detainees into two military bases located in Texas; Mexico will be voting on July 1 and leftist Lopez Obrador who is very anti-Trump is leading; on the sleeping to get ahead front, The New York Times has published a report that its reporter Ali Watkins was also sleeping with another Senate Intel Committee staffer after her affair with indicted staffer James Wolfe had ended; in Chicago through June 24, 2018, 1323 people mostly of color have been shot by mostly people of color, of whom 210 have died (when will Chicago get serious about this carnage or is this the case of true racism as a Blue run city turns a deaf ear and a blind eye to the slaughter of people of color by people of color?).
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to Jennifer Lopez, factoids of interest for this day in history, the fact that you do not approach issues in a mazy manner; a relevant quote from Clint Eastwood on the Korean War, secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like college graduations, birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. World Vitiligo Day—commemorating since 2011 a disease which is manifested by a loss of pigment in the skin and affects 1 to 2% of the population and is observed on June 25 as that date is the date that Michael Jackson who suffered from the disease died on that day in 2009.
2. National Catfish Day—created by Presidential Proclamation by Ronald Reagan in 1987 to promote recognition of the value of farm raised catfish.
3. 1999 Number One Song— the number one song in 1999 on a run of 5 weeks in that position was “If You Had My Love” by Jennifer Lopez. Here is a recording of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYfkl-HXfuU
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day is “mazy” which means dizzy or confused which describes our political leaders to a tee in trying to solve problems of the day like immigration.
5. Never Too Busy To Post—celebrating the birthday on this day in 1979 of Elizabeth Phillips better known to her fans as Busy Phillips, noted actress and Instagram poster with over a million followers.
On this day in:
a. 1913 veterans of the Battle of Gettysburg began arriving at Gettysburg to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg.
b. 1950 North Korea invaded South Korea starting the Korean War.
c. 1978 the rainbow flag representing gay pride was displayed for the first time during the San Francisco Gay Freedom Day Parade.
d. 1981 Microsoft reincorporated in the state of Washington.
e. 1998 SCOTUS in the case of Clinton v.New York to the dismay of supporters of reduced government ruled that the Line Iterm Veto Act of 1996 was unconstitutional.
Reflections on the Korean War: “I was drafted during the Korean War. None of us wanted to go... It was only a couple of years after World War II had ended. We said, 'Wait a second? Didn't we just get through with that?'” Clint Eastwood
Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day in History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.
© June 25, 2018 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift
Post a Comment