Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For June 12, 2018 President Trump and Premier Kim have signed an agreement committing North Korea to denuclearization following their historic summit meeting in Singapore with the details to be worked out but with sanctions to remain in place until Kim’s arsenal of ballistic missiles, nukes and production facilities have been destroyed while the U.S. is committed to insure no regime change of Kim’s regime (devil is in the details and a lot of work remains for Pompeo and his counterpart to hammer out the details especially the need for verification but at least a start); grandstanding Jim Acosta the Cack News Network’s “star” made a typical fool out of himself at the Singapore Summit shooting out questions at Trump and Kim on how the meeting was going; the populist wave against illegal immigration that helped propel Trump into office is alive and well in Italy as that nation in defiance of the EU is closing its ports to illegal immigrants and moving forward with plans to deport some 500,000 illegals from the country; CNN’s latest “news” show Cuomo Prime Time heavily promoted was crushed by Fox and MSNBC in its debut leading to speculation that CNN’s anti-Trump bashing strategy is failing; Pelosi is making a fool of herself with her stupid and false remarks that wages and consumer confidence is not rising (she is the best weapon the Reds have in causing higher Red turnout as most voters are terrified of the prospects on the recovery if she were to become Speaker of the House); Mt. Kilauea on Hawaii continues to spew lava and has destroyed 600 homes in the path of numerous lava flows; on the weather front Hurricane Bud some 350 miles south of Cabo San Lucas has risen in intensity to a Cat 4 as it continues toward Baja California; on the political front primaries are being held in 5 states today; in Chicago through June 11, 2018, 1172 people mostly of color have been shot by mostly people of color, of whom 191 have died (when will Chicago get serious about this carnage or is this the case of true racism as a Blue run city turns a deaf ear and a blind eye to the slaughter of people of color by people of color?)
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to Roxette, factoids of interest for this day in history, the fact that the Blue incoming tidal wave has disappeared from the political marigraph, and a relevant quote by from George H. W. Bush on America, secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like Father’s Day, college graduations, birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. Loving Day—celebrating the 9-0 decision by SCOTUS in the 1967 case of Loving v. Virginia which ruled that the anti-miscegenation laws banning interracial marriages in Virginia and 15 other states were unconstitutional.
2. World Day Against Child Labor—created by the International Labor Organization of the United Nations in 2002 to combat child labor which deprives children of their access to education and exposes them to unsafe working conditions and trafficking.
3. 1990 Number One Song— the number one song in 1990 on a run of 2 weeks in that position was “It Must Have Been Love” by Roxette. Here is a recording of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2C5TjS2sh4
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day is “marigraph” which means an instrument for measuring tide levels which if used to measure the size of the Blue Incoming Tide to the dismay of Blues like Pelosi has all but disappeared.
5. Youngest To Fly Oldest To Parachute—celebrating the birthday on this day in 1924 of George H.W. Bush, the 41st President of the United States and the youngest U.S. Navy pilot to fight in World War II at age 18 and probably the oldest ex-pilot to parachute from a plane on his 90th birthday to commemorate his first parachute jump on September 2, 1944 after being shot down by the Japanese in World War II. He is the first and only former president to reach the age of 94 and the last former president who had served in World War II.
On this day in:
a. 1776 The Virginia Declaration of Rights was unanimously adopted by the Fifth Convention of Virginia at Williamsburg, Virginia which heavily influenced our Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights.
b. 1987 at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, Ronald Reagan publicly challenged Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev “to tear down this wall.”
c. 1994 Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman were killed outside her home in Brentwood; O.J. Simpson was charged with the murder but acquitted of all charges.
d. 2016 Omar Mateen, a son of naturalized Afghan parents, in revenge for a droning of an ISIL leader, opened fire at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida, killing 49 and wounding 58 before being shot and killed by police.
e. 2017 after spending 15 months in a North Korea prison Otto Warmbier returned home in a coma and died one week later.
Reflections on America from George H.W. Bush: “My view, is let Mike Dukakis go around there and talk about pink slips, despair, pessimism in the United States. I'll be the guy out there talking about hope and opportunity and challenge, and the fact that the United States is the best, the fairest, the most decent nation on the face of the earth. Let them apologize for America, and let me lead her to new greatness.” George H.W. Bush Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day in History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.
© June 12, 2018 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift
Post a Comment