1. National Doctors Day—celebrating since 1989 the contribution of doctors to the health and welfare of the citizens of this nation; sadly the practice of medicine has been under great stress due to the decreasing reimbursements to physicians due to cuts in Medicare and Medicaid and the increased regulatory burden imposed HIPPA.
2. National Pencil Day—celebrating the issuance on this day in 1858 of a patent to Hymen Lipman for a pencil equipped with an eraser (most helpful when marking down golf scores when money is at stake).
3. 1997 Number One Song—celebrating the number one song on this day in 1997, as part of a 6 week run, Can’t Nobody Hold Me Down by Puff Daddy, a Harlem born rapper whose net worth in 2014 was estimated by Forbes Magazine to be $700 million. Here is a video link to the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmHMcKN8xlI
4. Turkey Neck Soup Day—celebrating a great soup especially when made with rice or noodles and mushrooms, carrots, and your favorite spices like basil, tarragon or thyme.
5. Flat’s Where It’s At Day--celebrating not those who believe in a flat earth but rather the birthday on this day in 1926 of Ingvar Kamprad, the creator of the flat pack and founder of IKEA who started his retailing career selling matches and appropriately, since it is National Pencil Day, pencils.
On this day in
a. 1867 in what has to be one of the great bargains of all time, the United States purchased Alaska aka “Seward’s Folly from Russia for $7.2 million (revenue from leasing rights to hunt fur seals from 1870 to 1890 generated over $6 million into the U.S. Treasury).
b. 1964 the TV game show Jeopardy created by Merv Griffin made its debut on television; the host was Art Fleming. The show is still going strong today with Alex Trebek as its host.
c. 1976 the first Land Day, protesting Israeli land policies affecting Palestinians, was held in Israel resulting in the deaths of six Arabs.
d. 1981 President Ronald Reagan was shot in the chest, almost mortally, by John Hinckley, Jr. Reagan, always known for a great sense of humor quipped to his wife Nancy after exiting from surgery: “Honey I forgot to duck.”
e. 2012 MasterCard and Visa announced a massive security breach of cardholder data affecting over 10 million card holders.
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join 155 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest. www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com Ridley's Believe It Or Not Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times
© March 30, 2015 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Rhymes for the Memorable Times
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive a Lasting Lift