1. National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day—celebrating the cornerstone of our economy which our federal and state governments seem hell bent to regulate and tax to death.
2. Palm Sunday—celebrating the Sunday before Easter.
3. 1996 Number One Song—celebrating the number one song on this day in 1996, as part of a 6 week run, Because You Loved Me by Celine Dion, a Canadian born bilingual French speaking singer whose voice has been rated one of the most influential pop music voices. After a brief Geico ad, here is a link to her performing the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih1945e4q7I
4. National Lemon Chiffon Cake Day—celebrating a lighter cake after splurging on the Black Forest chocolate cake yesterday.
5. Sam I Am Day--celebrating not that great Dr. Seuss poem immortalized by Ted Cruz during his filibuster, but rather the birthday on this day in 1918 of Sam Walton, founder of Sam’s Club and Wal-Mart.
On this day in
a. 1806 construction of the Cumberland Road, the first federal highway in the United States, was authorized.
b. 1882 the Knights of Columbus, the world’s largest Catholic fraternal service organization, was founded in New Haven, Connecticut.
c. 1961 the 23rd Amendment to the Constitution allowing residents of Washington, D.C. to vote in presidential elections was ratified.
d. 1971 2nd Lieutenant William Calley was convicted of murder of 22 civilians at My Lai, South Vietnam and sentenced to life imprisonment (later pardoned by President Nixon). Sad stain on the honor of the U.S. Army.
e. 1973 finally after the deaths of over 58,000 members of U.S. armed forces, the last combat troops left South Vietnam and two years later Saigon fell to the North Vietnamese.
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join 155 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest. www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com Ridley's Believe It Or Not Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times
© March 29, 2015 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Rhymes for the Memorable Times
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive a Lasting Lift