Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For January 17, 2018 A great American hero Bob Dole received the Congressional Medal of Freedom today in a packed Rotunda of the Capitol but unless you watched Fox you would not know as CNN was fixated with the resignation of all members of the Park Advisory Board and MSNBC fixated on you guessed it the Mueller ongoing witch-hunt; freed from the shackles of the pathetic Obama economy, the Dow closed today in another record at 26,115.65 (safe bet that such good economic news that will sink the Blues will not be reported by the MSM); the Blues are still putting their hope of future Blue DACA voters and the needs of illegal DACAs over the needs of Americans and the military for a budget; Cory Booker when it comes to grandstanding has as much integrity as a cheap two bit hooker faking an orgasm for her John in his false outrage over s*holes lacking only some real tears (this pathetic excuse for a Senator should survey how lopsided the majority of Salvadorians or Haitians that believe they live in a real s* hole in their countries which is why they want out and apologize for his demeaning remarks the head of DHS; Senator Flake is a credit to his last name in a pathetic speech on the Senate floor comparing Trump to Stalin in his attacks on the press (news flash Flake, Stalin didn’t attack the press he just shot them, jailed them or banished them to a Gulag in Siberia); Sean Peen that noted high school dropout is on the rant trail again this time attacking Trump as an enemy of the state and of mankind (news flash Penn you do not have the mental firepower to make people want to hear what you think—stick to acting and hob knobbing with dictators like Chavez); in what has to be a record probably due to Officer Freezing Weather patrolling the streets of Chicago, that hell hole of murder and shootings has gone 5 consecutive days without someone being shot to death.
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to Barry Manilow, factoids of interest for this day in history, the fact you do not have to use libanomancy to determine your course of action in facing issues, and a relevant quote by Adam Hamilton on the role of earthquakes, secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. National Bootleggers Day—commemorating a new class of criminals created when on this day in 1920 Congress banned the production and sale of alcoholic beverages which led to the Prohibition Experiment, the rise of organized crime and widespread corruption involving the police.
2. National Cable Car Day—commemorating the patent issued to Andrew Smith Hallidie for a cable car which was spawned by his witnessing horses on the hilly streets of San Francisco stumbling to their death and injury trying to pull heavy trolley cars.
3. 1975 Number One Song— the number one song in 1975 on a run of 1 week in that position was “Mandy” by Barry Manilow. Here is a recording of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGfcD5qycQY Still going strong after 50 years of performing.
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day is “libanomancy” which the art of divination by watching the smoke from incense which probably would have been more accurate in the 2016 election than all the pundits and pollsters.
5. Dumb And Dumber In Real Life Also--celebrating the birth on this day in 1962 in Canada (or bemoaning it after hearing his rant from Hawaii after the false alarm over an incoming ballistic missile depending on your point of view) of James Carry noted for such films as The Mask and Dumb and Dumber. Like so many actors he should stick to acting and not spouting political observations about things he knows nothing about.
On this day in:
a. 1962 near the town of Palomares, Spain a B-52 with 4 70 kiloton nuclear weapons aboard collided with a KC-135 tanker in midair destroying it and killing all four aboard along with three of the seven crewmembers aboard the B-52. Three of the nukes hit the ground but did not explode only contaminated the ground and the other went into the sea to be recovered some two months later, also unexploded.
b. 1977 capital punishment which had been put on hold in the United States by SCOTUS resumed in Utah with convicted killer Gary Gilmore being executed by firing squad.
c. 1994 the Northridge Earthquake measuring 6.7 on the Richter Scale hit Northridge in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles County, killing 57 and injuring some 8,700 others.
d. 1995 not to be outdone but not connected the Kobe Earthquake measuring 6.9 on the Richter Scale hit Japan leaving between 5,502-6,434 dead and 251,000-310,000 people displaced.
e. 2007 the Doomsday Clock was set at five minutes to midnight as a result of North Korea’s nuclear program (given the progress made by the rogue regime I have to believe the clock stands today at 11:59:55 which is frightening and which reminds us we have got to get Russia and China involved in the denuclearization process or face the real probability of having to nuke the North’s ICBMs and its nuclear program).
Reflections that earthquakes are your need friend to sustain life on the planet: “Why did the earthquake and tsunami occur in Japan? Was it the act of an angry God? No, it was the result of the movement and collision of the earth's tectonic plates - a process driven by the earth's need to regulate its own internal temperature. Without the process that creates earthquake, our planet could not sustain life.” Adam Hamilton, noted pastor of the 22,000 member United Methodist Church of the Resurrection located in Leawood, Kansas. Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day in History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.
© January 17, 2018 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift