Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For January 10, 2017 Finally the SEC and their pomposity no longer rules as Clemson in the final seconds prevailed; as Obama gets ready to perform his farewell address in the black on black shooting capital of the world, the black on black killings continue with 2 more killed and 5 wounded on Monday (simple question where is the mayor and the Illinois National Guard?); Sessions grilled today in the Senate but the likes of Franken looking like a complete comedian that he once was; in a who watches the police moment, the head of the Office of Ethics who has been beating the drum that the nominees of President-elect Trump have not been forthcoming in detailing potential conflicts is now being attacked for giving HRC a free pass to not reveal her exorbitant speaking fees before campaigning for the presidency; maybe some of Hollywood seeing through the $20,000 gowns are coming to their wallet and purse senses and realizing that Ms. Streep’s rants were totally out of line and the 62 million deplorables might decide to watch football and WWF rather than the high ticket priced antics of the leftists in Hollywood who ridicule them; the IRS always under attack is withholding the delivery of earned income credit checks due to massive fraud while it checks eligibility; Orlando police are still looking for the scumbag wanted for killing his pregnant ex-girlfriend and a female black police officer; ending on a positive note, a mother and three children in a minivan slid off an icy road in Clark County, Washington into an embankment but were rescued by firefighters.
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson, factoids of interest for this day in history, a relevant observation on life by the birthday boy Jim Croce, looking forward to having an occasion to use the Word of the Day “keek,” blessed with a positive attitude and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. National Poetry at Work Day—this is another great holiday to recognize and honor the creative talents of poets like the Alaskanpoet who can bring a different perspective to solving the mundane problems of the world.
2. National Save the Eagle Day—commemorating efforts to preserve our national symbol which through the efforts of wildlife conservancy groups was finally moved from the endangered species list in 2007.
3. Number One Song in 1984—celebrating the number 1 song in 1984 on a run of 6 weeks in that position “Say, Say, Say” by Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson. Here is a link to the duo performing the song: http://ew.com/article/2015/10/06/michael-jackson-paul-mccartney-say-say-say- remix/
4. Word of the Day—the word of the day is “keek” which is a Scot word which means to peep surreptitiously.
5. Flying Can Be Hazardous--celebrating the birth on this day in 1943 of rock and roll singer Jim Croce who sadly was killed when the private plane he was flying in ran into a tree on takeoff at the way too early age of 30.
On this day in:
1. 49 B.C. Caesar crossed the Rubicon signaling the start of civil war in which he would prevail only to be assassinated in the Roman Senate five years later.
2. 1870 John D. Rockefeller incorporated Standard Oil.
3. 1946 the first meeting of the General Assembly of the United Nations was held in London, England.
4. 1984 the United States and the Vatican reestablished diplomatic relations after a 117 year absence.
5. 2015 in a complete lack of quality control, at funeral in Mozambique, mourners drinking beer that had been contaminated with crocodile bile suffered 56 dead and some 200 hospitalized.
Reflections from the mind of a great songwriter and singer: “My only boss was the clock on the wall and my only friend, never really was a friend at all. I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less. Lost my ideas in that long tunnel of time. And I've turned inside out and around about and back and then found myself right back where I started again” Jim Croce Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.
© January 10, 2017 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift All to Receive a Lasting Lift
Post a Comment