As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, factoids of interest for this day in history, a musical link to Eminem feat. Rihanna, the fact you oppose the use of putchers, a relevant quote on the Palmer Raids by U.S. District Attorney Francis Fisher Kane, secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like Father’s Day, college graduations, birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. Science Fiction Day—celebrating the works of science fiction on this day which is the birthday of noted science fiction writer Isaac Asimov.
2. Happy Mew Years Day for Cats—celebrating with a play on words the New Year for felines as they deserve a day to celebrate like their owners.
3. 2014 Number 1 Number One Song— the number one song in 2014 on this day on a run of 2 weeks in the position was “The Monster” by Eminem feat. Rihanna. Here is a recording of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHkozMIXZ8w
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day is “putcher” which means a wire trap to catch salmon, the use of which is an anathema to this former salmon seiner’s heart.
5. End of an Era--celebrating the birth on this day in 1983 of noted actress Kate Bosworth who played Lois Lane in the 6th and final Superman series of films.
On this day in:
a. 1905 after a siege of Port Arthur that commenced in April of 1904, and resulted in the sinking or scuttling of all 5 Russian battleships blockaded in the harbor, the Russian commander surrendered the city to the Japanese.
b. 1920 in a dark day for civil liberties the Second Palmer Raid by the DOJ resulted in a national roundup of 3,000 immigrants believed to be Communists and anarchists many whom were held without trial and subjected to deportation.
c. 1942 the FBI obtained the conviction of 33 members of the German spy ring headed by Fritz Duquesne in the largest espionage case in U.S. history with the convicted members sentenced to an aggregate of 300 years in prison.
d. 1967 Ronald Reagan is sworn in as Governor of California after defeating two term Governor Pat Brown.
e. 1974 President Nixon signed legislation lowering the speed limit on U.S. highways to 55 m.p.h. to conserve gasoline due to the OPEC Embargo.
Reflections on the Palmer Raids: "It seems to me that the policy of raids against large numbers of individuals is generally unwise and very apt to result in injustice. People not really guilty are likely to be arrested and railroaded through their hearings...We appear to be attempting to repress a political party...By such methods, we drive underground and make dangerous what was not dangerous before." Francis Fisher Kane, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania in his resignation letter of protest to President Wilson and Attorney General Palmer.
Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day in History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.
© January 2, 2020 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift,
All Recipients to Receive a Lasting Lift