Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For January 9, 2020 On mostly party line votes the House has passed a resolution prohibiting the president from initiating any military action against Iran with Congressional approval (the resolution is most likely unconstitutional but its passage should have the mullahs in Iran leaping for joy and on the phones with their terrorist clients ordering them to initiate terror attacks worldwide against U.S. interests; the fact that the rogue nation of Iran is refusing to turn over the Ukrainian Airline plane that crashed shortly after takeoff Tehran at the same time missiles were being launched against two airbases in Iraq housing US troops makes sense as Pentagon now believes the plane was shot down by an Iranian missile (since the mullahs cannot be that stupid to order shooting down a civilian aircraft giving them the benefit of the doubt it must have been a mistake which the world should await to see how Iran makes amends to the almost 200 innocents killed); if the Open Border Blues would support a fraction of what the Mexican Army is doing to halt the flood of illegal aliens we could solve the illegal migration in a heartbeat as great video shown of the Mexican Army rushing to stop a large group of illegals:
https://www.foxnews.com/media/exclusive-video-mexican-military-border-patrol; Trey Gowdy has hit the nail on the head commenting on Pelosi’s refusal to hand over Impeachment Articles that the impeachment is not about removing Trump but regaining control of the Senate to neuter Trump’s second term (you think gridlock is bad today can you imagine what it would be like; not as earth shattering as the abdication of a king to marry Wallace Simpson, but Harry’s and Meghan’s announcement that they were stepping down from royal duties clearly rattled Buckingham (another example of the power of love or perhaps the reptilian brain); Max Rose, a Blue from New York should be applauded by all Americans for putting the good of the nation above politics with his announcement that he will vote against Pelosi’s War Powers Act Resolution passed by his Blue colleagues this afternoon; in Chicago, as of January 8, 2020, 41 people have been shot of whom 7 have died; Baltimore with a fraction of Chicago’s population and hoping against all hopes that 2020 will not be a record in terms of deaths has suffered 5 murders by shootings (when will Chicago and Baltimore get serious about this carnage or is this the case of true racism as a Blue run city turns a deaf ear and a blind eye to the slaughter of people of color by people of color and when will the left focus on the problem of color on color shootings in Blue run cities which have been more deadly and more numerous than random mass shootings?).
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, factoids of interest for this day in history, a musical link to Roddy Rich, the fact if you have a fever, your doctor is an expert on pyretology, a relevant quote on iPhones by Frank Abgandale, secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like Father’s Day, college graduations, birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. Word Nerd Day—celebrating those who are logophiles, lovers of words, and best celebrated by acquiring new words by going to http://alaskanpoethistory.blogspot.com/ to see among other things a word of the day which may cause your friends and associates to wish they were as erudite as your vocabulary reveals you to be.
2. National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day—celebrating since 2015 the service of the some 900,000 law enforcement officers that protect and serve our communities and was created in response to the shooting and death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri and the outpouring of concern over police brutality and shootings.
3. 2020 Number 1 Number One Song— the number one song in 2020 on this day on a run of 2 weeks in the position was “The Box” by Roddy Rich Here is a recording of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLHqpjW3aDs
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day for you logophiles on Word Nerd Day is “pyretology” which means the study of fevers which if you have one you hope your doctor is on top of.
5. Siblings Carry a Tune--celebrating the birth on this day in 1948 of Bill Cowsill, singer and guitarist of the 4 brother band, the Cowsills, who like his parents was a smoker, suffered from emphysema and died on February 18, 2006.
On this day in:
a. 1916 the Battle of Gallipoli ends in an Ottoman victory as British and Australian forces are evacuated.
b. 1960 President Nasser of Egypt kicked off the construction of the Aswan Dam with the demolition of 10 tons of dynamite to demolish 20 tons of granite on the banks of the Nile.
c. 1991 representatives from Iraq and the U.S. met at the Geneva Peace Conference in an unsuccessful attempt to resolve the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait without war.
d. 2007 Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone at a Mac World conference in San Francisco.
e. 2015 in a be careful what you drink moment at a funeral in Mozambique beer contaminated with Burkholderia Gladioli killed 75 drinkers and left 230 lucky drinkers only sick.
Reflections on the iPhone’s impact: “If you took a child in London and took their iPhone and took them somewhere else in the country, they'd probably not be able to find their way back. That's a shame.” Frank Abagnale, noted American security consultant who was an imposter and check forger while 15-21 and whose story was captured in “Catch Me If You Can.”
Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day in History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.
© January 9, 2020 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift,
All Recipients to Receive a Lasting Lift