Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For March 23, 2018 On the potential trade war front the Chinese quickly reacted by imposing $3 billion in retaliation for Trump’s $50 billion in tariffs and the stock market tanked; the Senate joined the House in tossing fiscal responsibility out the window and into the Swamp and approved the $1.3 trillion budget which although bolsters the military does not defund Planned Parenthood or sanctuary cities and does not fund the wall or additional ICE facilities or Border Patrol agents (what a way to run a railroad--spend money we don’t have in a bill that no one voting for it has read and for this dereliction of duty we pay them large salaries with huge perks); Missouri has joined the list of states aiming to reform welfare by eliminating the ability to use EBC’s to buy liquor, tobacco, admissions to strip clubs or withdraw cash from ATM’s; the flood of new food stamp recipients has crested and now ebbing with 2 million less food stamp recipients receiving benefits (before we pop the champagne corks there are still over 42 million food stamp recipients; John Bolton due in part to his very hawkish ideas is getting a mixed reaction to his replacement of H.R. McMasters as National Security Adviser; Jaelynn Willey who was shot in the head by Austin Rollins at Great Mills High School was taken off life support; on the destroy the planet front the Great Pacific Garbage Patch has risen in size to 600,000 square miles, twice the size of Texas:
in Chicago through March 21, 2018, 467 people have been shot, of whom 89 have died.
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to Glenn Miller and his Orchestra; factoids of interest for this day in history, the fact that you are avoiding lurdans and a relevant quote by President Reagan SDI, secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. World Meteorological Day—promoting awareness of the importance of accurate weather forecasting and trends.
2. Near Miss Day—commemorating the near miss of Earth by asteroid 4581 Asclepius on this day in 1989 by only 425,000 miles or a margin of error of six hours; had it struck Earth it would have released the energy equivalence of 600 megatons.
3. 1942 Number One Song— the number one song in 1942 on a run of 10 weeks in that position was “Moonlight Cocktail” by Glenn Miller and his Orchestra. Here is a recording of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e42mD7OW4U
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day is “lurdan” which means a lazy or dull person of whom we have way too many in the Swamp.
5. Start Up Addict—celebrating the birth on this day in 1944 of James Clark noted entrepreneur and programmer who dropped out of high school to form such successful companies as Silicon Graphics, Netscape, and Healtheon which was the largest IPO in 1999.
On this day in:
a.1868 the University of California was founded at Berkeley, California.
b. 1965 the U.S. successfully put into orbit Gemini 3, its first two man spacecraft with Gus Grissom and John Young aboard.
c. 1977 the first of David Frost’s 12 interviews with Richard Nixon on Watergate was videotaped.
d. Archbishop Romero gave his famous speech appealing to the El Slavadoran military to stope killing Salvadorans.
e. 1983 President Reagan made what become to be known as the Strategic Defense Initiative to utilize technology to intercept incoming missiles.
Reflections on Strategic Defense Initiative: We seek neither military superiority nor political advantage. Our only purpose -- one all people share -- is to search for ways to reduce the danger of nuclear war.My fellow Americans, tonight we're launching an effort which holds the promise of changing the course of human history. There will be risks, and results take time. But I believe we can do it. As we cross this threshold, I ask for your prayers and your support.”Ronald Reagan, March 23, 1983 Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day in History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.
© March 23, 2018 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift