Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For February 6, 2018 Taiwan was hit by a 6.4 earthquake, killing 2, injuring almost 150 and causing huge damage; the troika of Democratic state AGs from California (to no one’s surprise), Illinois and New York have launched into a taxpayer wasting Don Quiote charge against the Trump Agenda from trying to ban fracking to overturning the tax cut due to limitations on SALT deductions under a false mantra of trying to enforce the rule of law (total joke, really about more scorched earth in another venue); just when you thought the stench of corruption emanating from Obama and the HRC campaign on the Russian collusion could not get worse, the Senate has released its memo on the collusion of the Obama Administration, HRC campaign and Steele in funneling false Russian information designed to destroy Trump’s candidacy (since when it comes to reporting on the illegal activities of the HRC or Obama the MSM always seems to lose its tongue, here is a news link: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/02/06/sean-hannity-senate-releases-memo-2-0-and-it-should-scare.html); on the dueling memos, the 10 page Blue version is supposed to have a lot of sources and methods endangering our national security that was Leaker and Liar Schiff’s argument for not releasing the Red’s 4 page memo (redact and release to the American people along with the supporting material for the FISA warrant and appoint a special counsel to investigate the sham investigation of HRC’s private email server); freight in the U.S. is handled by private companies while passengers are hauled by a quasi public AMTRAK dependent on the government which has been hit with 24 derailments since 2014 and just had the misfortune of having one of its high speed (125 mph) trains have a car separate from the train in Maryland (not sure whether this is a justification for more infrastructure or the result of government incompetence but for trainophiles like me it’s scary); not all illegals are criminals but some are and that brings into clear focus that the needs of the “Dreamers” should never trump the needs of Americans to be protected from assault by illegals as represented in Maryland when an illegal from El Salvador urinating in public (which is probably acceptable behavior) at a bus terminal attacked someone who had the temerity to suggest he should use a public restroom with a box cutter (hopefully he is convicted on assault with a deadly weapon and after serving time is deported and when he returns as it is almost certain he will, the Senate will have come to its senses and passed Kate’s Law and should he cross and be be caught face 5 years in prison);); in Chicago through February 5, 2018 240 people have been shot of whom 43 have died.
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to Paula Abdul, factoids of interest for this day in history, the fact that many of our lakes and streams are not polluted for our limnetic friends and a relevant quote by Joseph Osuigwe Chidiebere on FGM, secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. International Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation Day—created by the UN in 2003 to attack this feudal barbaric practice emanating primarily out of Muslim countries which sadly immigrants from them often bring their barbaric beliefs with them (wonder how long the practice would continue if the fathers or husbands complicit in the practice on their daughters or wives would suffer a similar fate).
2. Ronald Reagan Day—created by proclamation of 21 governors in 2011 on the 100th anniversary of Ronald Reagan’s birth and increased to 40 to honor his service as a two term governor of California and two term president of the United States.
3. 1990 Number One Song— the number one song in 1990 on a run of 3 weeks in that position was “Opposites Attract” by Paula Abdul. Here is a recording of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xweiQukBM_k
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day is “limnetic” which means living in fresh water which in D.C. has been diluted and contaminated by the features and creatures of the Swamp.
5. The Greatest Generation and There But For the Grace of God--celebrating the birth on this day in 1940 of the man who turned down an offer to be the press secretary for Richard Nixon, Tom Brokaw, noted television journalist for NBC News and co-anchor for many years of the Today Show and anchor for many years of NBC Nightly News and author of The Greatest Generation.
On this day in:
a. 1918 British women over the age of 30 who meet certain property requirements were given the right to vote upon passage of the Representation of the People Act 1918 by Parliament.
b. 1922 the London Naval Agreement limiting the size of the navies of the United States, England, Japan, France and Italy was signed.
c. 1959 Jack Kilby of Texas Instruments filed the first patent for an integrated circuit.
d. 1976 the president of Lockheed Corporation testifying before a Senate Subcommittee admitted that the company had paid $3 million in bribes to Japanese Prime Minister Tanaka.
e. 2016 two years before Taiwan was hit by a massive earthquake today, Taiwan was hit with a 6.6 earthquake which killed 117 people.
Reflections on the barbaric practice of FGM: “You or any of your family members may not have practiced female genital mutilation, but that is not enough reason to keep silent about it. You need to speak out against it to discourage others from the practice”- Joseph Osuigwe Chidiebere, noted Nigerian author, anti gender violence activitist and anti-trafficing advocate. Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day in History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.
© February 6, 2018 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift