Ridley's Believe It Or Not—November 22, 2014: Posted Friday morning a Thanksgiving poem for your enjoyment. http://alaskanpoet.blogspot.com/2014/11/thanksgiving-thoughts-end-black-friday.html Trust your weekend is off to a great start with your favorite football teams in the win column. As always I hope you enjoy the holidays and observances, factoids and quotes from Marian Wright Edelman, with a smile on your sunscreened face, looking forward to enjoying a bag of cashews raw or salted, blessed with a positive attitude even though you know you will have to wade through tons of spam in your inbox, and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for a memorable event or the coming Christmas, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. Humane Society of the United States Day—celebrating the forming on this day of the Humane Society of the United States which is now the largest animal rights organization with a goal to protect the rights of all animal for the stray to the laboratory animal.
2. National Survivors of Suicide Day—first proposed by Senator Harry Reid, whose father was a suicide victim, in 1999 to bring family members who have lost loved ones due to suicide for mutual support after such a devastating act.
3. Family Volunteer Day—started by Points of Light as a day of families volunteering together to provide service to their community.
4. Respect Is What You Need Day—celebrating the birthday on this day in 1921 of Rodney Dangerfield whose comic signature line was “I get no respect.” though a highly respected comedian and actor.
5. National Cashew Day—commemorating this poet’s favorite nut after macadamias---perfect snack on.
On this day in
a. 1935 PanAm’s China Clipper, the first plane to offer transpacific service took off from Alameda, California, arriving in Manila one week later. Clipper service was first class and legendary, with sleeping berths and fine food served on fine china. A one-way ticket to Manila, including overnight stays at Pan Am hotels in Honolulu, Midway, Wake and Guam, cost $950 -the equivalent of $14,650 in current dollars.
b. 1963 the flags of Camelot came down as President John Fitzgerald Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, Texas. If you are over 60 do you remember where you were when the news came out?
c. 1977 British Airways instituted supersonic air travel on the Concorde between London and New York. The plane had to be supersonic as the cabin was very cramped in order to achieve speed, something that did not concern the Clipper.
d. 2012 in a test run for what happened this summer a cease fire between Hamas and Israel after 8 days of fighting and 150 deaths, most likely Palestinians used by Hamas as shields.Reflections on the assassination of President Kennedy: “So much of the deep lingering sadness over the assassination of President Kennedy is about the unfinished promise, the unspoken speeches, the unfulfilled hopes, the wondering of what might have been.” Marian Wright Edelman, founder and president of the Children’s Defense Fund She is right on point; although Johnson was able to push through massive Civil Rights legislation, I do not believe Kennedy would have allowed our involvement in Vietnam and as naval officer commanding a boat sunk in combat would have subjected the Gulf of Tonkin Incident to scrutiny. Certainly he would have beaten Goldwater and being alive in 1968 would have campaigned for the Democratic nominee such that Nixon might not have run. Interesting conjecture.
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join almost 150 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest. www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com Ridley's Believe It Or Not Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times
© November 22, 2014 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Rhymes on the Memorable Times
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive a Lasting Lift