Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For February 22, 2016. Unfortunately, still 333 days to go in President Obama’s pathetic lame duck term but fortunately only 12 days until the start of and my daily updates on the Iditarod, the Last Great Race on Earth. Interesting Daytona 500 yesterday with the winner in a photo finish winning by less than six inches. I trust your weekend was a great one and your Monday is off to a great start and as always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to the J. Geils Band, factoids of interest, a relevant quote by Herb Brooks looking forward to enjoying your favorite margarita, blessed with a positive attitude and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. Founders’ Day—celebrating the birthday on this day in 1857 of Baron Baden-Powell, the founder of the Boy Scouts and the birthday on this day in 1889 of his wife Lady Baden Powell, founder of Girl Guide, the precursor to the Girl Scouts.
2. Celebrity Day—commemorating if a practicing member of Scientology like Tom Cruise, the contributions of members of the faith to the culture through art.
3. 1982 Number One Song—celebrating the number one song in 1982 on a run of six weeks in that position Centerfold by the J. Geils Band. Here is a link to the J. Geils Band performing Centerfold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqDjMZKf-wg
4. National Margarita Day—celebrating a holiday that really should be celebrated on Cinco de Mayo where copious amounts of margaritas are consumed while being serenaded with mariachi bands.
5. Moderation in Height Is the Key to Longevity—celebrating the birthday on this day in 1918 of Robert Wadlow whose pituitary gland must have been operating at warp speed as he attained a height of 8’11” and coupled with his weight of 400 pounds was more than his heart could bear and died at the age of 22.
On this day in:
a. 1856 the Republican Party held its first annual meeting; I suspect those in attendance must be rolling in their graves over what is going on in the Republican race for president today.
b. 1879 Frank W. Woolworth in Utica, New York opened his first five and dime Woolworth’s store which grew to one of the largest retailers in the 20th Century only to close its door in July of 1997.
c. 1924 President Calvin Coolidge became the first president to deliver a radio broadcast from the White House.
d. 1974 in a chilling precursor to 9/11 and the failed attempt to crash a hijacked plane into the White House to kill President Nixon, Samuel Byck attempted to hijack a plane out of Baltimore but after killing a police officer and one the pilots was wounded and committed suicide.
e. 1980 in what has become known as the Miracle on Ice, in the semifinals at the Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, New York, the U.S. Ice Hockey team upset the highly favored Soviets 4-3 and went on to the finals to win the gold medal. Reflections on the Miracle on Ice from the coach of the U.S. Ice Hockey Olympic Team: “We should be dreaming. We grew up as kids having dreams, but now we're too sophisticated as adults, as a nation. We stopped dreaming. We should always have dreams.” Herb Brooks. Sadly for the last seven years, we have had little if any dreams, only nightmares.
Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day In History.
© February 22, 2016, Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive a Lasting Lift