Ridley's Believe It Or Not—September 27. 2014: Trust your weekend is off to a great start and that you enjoy the holidays and factoids and quote from Ronald Reagan with a smile on your sunscreened face, with a love note in your hand, blessed with a positive attitude, and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for a memorable event, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem tailored to the event and the recipient.
1. World Tourism Day—another U.N. holiday since `970 honoring the contributions of tourism to the world economy—if you see someone in California from another country who appears lost, help them out and encourage them to spend more money while visiting—sales tax revenue is a good thing for our budget.
2. National Hunting and Fishing Day/ Fish Amnesty Day--celebrating two holidays that are truly the Ying and the Yang—encourage fishing and also per PETA since 1970 encourage the non consumption of fish. Only in America!
3. Kiwanis Kids Day—celebrated since 1949 to promote the welfare of children.
4. Family Health and Fitness Day—celebrating the need for and benefits of family exercise and physical fitness.
5. National Chocolate Milk Day—celebrating a great way to get your calcium and satisfy one’s chocolate cravings.
On this day in
a. 1777 Lancaster, PA became the capital of the United States for one day when the Continental Congress fled Philadelphia from the advancing British.
b.1905 The physics journal Annalen der Physik received Albert Einstein’s paper "Does the Inertia of a Body Depend Upon Its Energy Content?", introducing the equation E=mc2.
c. 1941 the USS Patrick Henry the first of 2700 Liberty Ships was launched; the number of ships produced and the speed in which they were produced doomed the Germans in the Battle of the Atlantic.
d. 1998 the birthday of the Google search engine.
Maybe tourism is not such a great idea for the residents that have to put up with them:”As I see the world, there's one element that's even more corrosive than missionaries: tourists. It's not that I feel above them in any way, but that the very places they patronize are destroyed by their affection.” Tahir Shah House of the Tiger King: The Quest for a Lost City
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join almost 150 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs--click on links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest.
© September 27, 2014 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Rhymes on the Memorable Times
The Perfect Gift, All Spirits to Receive the Perfect Lift