Ridley's Believe It Or Not—September 21. 2014: Trust your weekend going well and that you enjoy the holidays and factoids and quote from Jimi Hendrix with a smile on your sunscreened face, with a pecan cookie in your hand, blessed with a positive attitude, and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for a memorable event, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem tailored to the event and the recipient (great way to show appreciation on National Wife Appreciation Day).
1. World Peace Day—celebrated since 1982 to promote peace and reduce the risk of war—great concept but as we see in the world today the dogs of war are still running loose.
2. World Alzheimer’s Day---promoting awareness and the raising of funds for a disease you would not wish on your worst enemy; it is a disease that strikes without warning and today without cure.
3. National Wife Appreciation Day—great idea but since a happy wife means a happy life, this holiday should be observed daily and might help in reducing the high divorce rates, especially in California. A gift of a poem from the Alaskanpoet would be a great gift idea.
4. War Of The Worlds On World Peace Day—celebrating the birthday on this day in 1866 of the man who is considered the founder of science fiction, H.G. Wells, author of numerous books including War of the Worlds.
5. National Pecan Cookie Day—a great way to celebrate the coming of fall by munching on a pecan cookie, especially one from Kelli’s Best. http://www.kelliscookies.com/
On this day in
a. 1897 the “Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus” editorial was published in the New York Sun.
b. 1970 The New York Times published the first Op Ed page.
c. 2001 America: A Tribute to Heroes was broadcast over 35 network and cable channels, raising $200 million for the victims of 911.
d. 2013 the jihadist terrorist group al-Shabaab attacked the Westgate Mall in Nairobi, Kenya, killing at least 67 people.
Words that men and women, especially men and women in positions of authority, should heed: “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” Jimi Hendrix, great rock electric guitarist who died at the age of 28 from an overdose of barbiturates.
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join almost 150 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs--click on links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest.
© September 21, 2014 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Rhymes on the Memorable Times
The Perfect Gift, All Spirits to Receive the Perfect Lift