Ridley's Believe It Or Not—September 20. 2014: Trust your weekend is off to a good start and that you enjoy the holidays and factoids and quote from Shannon L. Adler with a smile on your sunscreened face, with an apple in your hand, blessed with a positive attitude, and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for a memorable event, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem tailored to the event and the recipient.
1. International Coastal Cleanup Day—great day to go to the coast and be part of an international movement of volunteers to pick up trash that has washed ashore on the world’s beaches.
2. National Gibberish Day---sadly celebrated only once a year when in Washington, D.C. it should be celebrated daily.
3. It’s A Jungle Day—celebrating the birthday and writing career of Upton Sinclair, who was born on this day in 1878; he was best known for his Pulitzer Prize winning book The Jungle.
4. Responsible Dog Ownership Day—promoted by the American Kennel Club to promote awareness of what it takes to be a responsible owner of man’s best friend.
5. International Eat An Apple Day—great way to celebrate the coming of fall tomorrow by munching a delicious apple and proving the old saying that an apple a day keeps the doctor away.
On this day in
a. 1946 the first Cannes Film Festival was held.
b. 1973 in the Battle of the Sexes, Billie Jean King beat Bobby Riggs at tennis in the Houston Astrodome.
c. 1984 a suicide car bomber detonated his bomb outside the U.S. embassy in Beirut, killing 22 people.
d. 2001 President Bush appeared before a joint session of Congress and declared a War on Terror; unlike our current President his acts followed and were consistent with his words.
Words that men and women of all faith need to read and follow, especially the jihadists of the world: “Before you call yourself a Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu or any other theology, learn to be human first.” Shannon L. Adler, noted contemporary author
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join almost 150 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs--click on links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest.
© September 20, 2014 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Rhymes on the Memorable Times
The Perfect Gift, All Spirits to Receive the Perfect Lift