Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For September 23, 2017 Senator McCain may be an American hero but on the health care front as Obamacare is going down in flames is a total disaster; we all feel for Kimmel due to the health issues faced by his child but we now find out he has been working hand in glove with the chief Swamp denizen Chuck Schumer for talking points to attack Trump’s efforts to repeal and replace Obamacare; Trump at a rally for Strange threw the gauntlet down on those overpaid NFL players taking a knee on the playing of the national anthem urging owners to fire anyone who participates in that practice; on the doomsday front, Christian wacko writer Meade has retracted his statement that the world will end today which is a good thing as UCLA fans will want to be around to witness after 9 failed attempts in a row a victory over Stanford in Palo Alto; the death toll in Mexico City from the earthquake has risen to 295; Puerto Rico devastated and without power is facing a new threat as 70,000 people living below a dam which is very close to failing have been ordered to evacuate; Hillary continues on her book tour slamming the president for his tough speech on the Rocket Man oblivious to the fact that a growing number of Americans on both sides of the aisle want her to disappear; through September 21, 2017 in Chicago the number of people being shot climbed to 2789 and the death toll standing at 478 while the city seems to not be doing anything to prevent the killing and maiming of its minority residents—a real definition of racism which is deadly.
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to Barry McGuire, factoids of interest for this day in history, a relevant quote by Angelina Jolie on cancer, happy you do not appear to be suffering from kanodoxy and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. Teal Talk Day—created in 2013 to promote awareness of ovarian cancer that affects almost 250,000 women worldwide annually.
2. National R.E.A.D. in America Day—observed to recognize that reading allows people to accomplish their goals and dreams and encourage people of all ages to read more and often.
3. 1965 Number One Song— the number one song in 1965 on a run of 1 week in that position was “Eve of Destruction” by Barry McGuire. Here is a performance of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfZVu0alU0I Barry is still avoiding destruction at the ripe old age of 82.
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day is “kenodoxy” which is the love of vainglory which our current and past president have in spades and something mere mortals would do well to avoid.
5. Trane Derailed Too Early--celebrating the birth on this day in 1926 of noted saxophonist John Coltrane who battled drug addiction and alcoholism and blew his last notes far too early at the age of 40 due to liver cancer.
On this day in:
a. 1641 the Merchant Royal laden with 100,000 pounds of gold was lost at sea near Land’s End near Cornwall and despite numerous attempts has never been found.
b. 1889 Nintendo Koppai (now the Nintendo Company) was formed by Yamauchi Fusajiro to produce and market the card game Hanafuda.
c. 1911 Earle Ovington made the first airmail delivery for the U.S. Post Office.
d. 1962 the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts opened in New York City.
e. 2002 the web browser Mozilla Firefox was introduced.
Reflections on cancer from one very brave and inspirational woman: “I hope that other women can benefit from my experience. Cancer is still a word that strikes fear into people’s hearts, producing a deep sense of powerlessness. But today it is possible to find out through a blood test whether you are highly susceptible to breast and ovarian cancer, and then take action. It is my hope that they, too, will be able to get gene tested, and that if they have a high risk they, too, will know that they have strong options. Life comes with many challenges. The ones that should not scare us are the ones we can take on and take control of.” Angelina Jolie Wise words, wise words indeed from a very courageous woman that Brad Pitt had the idiotic thoughts to cheat on. Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day in History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.