Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For September 2, 2017 Trump and Melania are visiting Houston and Louisiana to meet with flood victims, first responders and the Cajun Navy and see first hand the devastation caused by Harvey and hopefully will be spared the idiotic comments by the MSM over Melania’s stilettos or Trump’s lack of compassion; on the good news front, Florence a large human extermination type asteroid 2.7 miles in diameter is passing safely by our planet at a distance of 4.4 million miles; Houston and surrounding areas devastated by Harvey are slowly digging themselves out as the death toll as waters recede has climbed to 45 (not out of the woods yet as evacuations urged for people living near dams that may fail); if anyone believes in the power of prayer now would be a could time to start flexing one’s prayer muscles as Hurricane Irma now a Cat 3 and projected to grow to Cat 5 is headed toward us and if it does not swing north toward Bermuda and instead hits Florida, the East Coast or God forbid enters the Gulf of Mexico and makes landfall in Texas we will be in a world of hurt; on the PC front Liganore High School in Fredrick, Maryland has banned students from wearing feathered headdresses at its athletic events and the private Green Acres School in North Bethesda, Maryland has instructed parents not to allow their kids to wear Washington Redskins’ gear to school; George Clooney, an avid supporter of HRC’s campaign is out with a new movie he has directed Suburbicon which would be a perfect movie for deplorables to boycott (enough of lining the Hollywood leftist’s pocket books with our hard earned dollars while conservative performers are for all intent and purposes boycotted by producers and directors); the UN has finally gotten its act together by issuing a blistering report on Maduro’s human rights abuses in Venezuela (one hopes that the refineries that have shut down due to Harvey are the ones that refine oil from that failed state); through September 1, 2017 in Chicago the number of people being shot climbed to 2558, and the death toll again on the rise to 439.
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to Bing Crosby, factoids of interest for this day in history, a relevant quote by Mark Harmon on effort, hoping that Congress acts in a jiffy on the Trump agenda and Harvey recovery funding as opposed to gridlock, secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. Victory Over Japan Day—celebrating the signing of the formal surrender documents by the Allies and the Empire of Japan on the USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay on this day in 1945.
2. Franchise Appreciation Day—celebrating that form of business relationship that enables a franchisor to rapidly expand the number of outlets selling his trademarked goods or services without the expenditure of large amounts of capital until the income from the franchisees and the sales of franchisees enables the company to expand the number of franchisor owned outlets.
3. 1944 Number One Song— the number one song in 1944 on a run of 9 weeks in that position was “Swinging on a Star” by Bing Crosby. Here is a performance of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CDs067081E
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day is “jiffy” which means a unit of time equal to 1/100 of a second or any small amount of time; when it comes to getting needed legislation passed jiffy is a concept totally alien to the Congress especially the Senate.
5. One Good Reason to Have a Sister—celebrating the birth on this day in 1951 of Mark Harmon noted TV actor who got a break to appear on TV since his sister Kristin was dating Ricky Nelson but ignoring the adage that you don’t bite the hand that feeds you, Harmon got involved in a bitter custody case over Kristin’s youngest son Sam due to her rehab over drug use which he dropped after she raised allegations that Harmon’s wife Pam Dawber was using cocaine.
On this day in:
a. 1666 the Great Fire of London broke out and raged for three days, destroying 10,000 buildings in the process.
b. 1870 Prussian forces at Sedan, France decisively defeated the French and captured Napoleon III and 104,000 of his troops, effectively winning the Franco-Prussian War.
c. 1901 Vice President Teddy Roosevelt at the Minnesota State Fair uttered one of his famous lines, “Speak softly but carry a big stick.” Sadly under Obama we endured, “Speak loudly but carry no or a very small stick which I am afraid to use.”
d. 1946 the Interim Government of India charged with the transition of India and Pakistan to independence from British rule on August 15, 1947 was formed with Nehru as Vice President with the powers of Premier.
e. 1987 the trial of Mathias Rust charged with landing his private plane in Red Square on May 27, 1987 commenced; he was found guilty and sentenced to 4 years but released after serving 14 months. His breach of the vaunted Soviet air defense system resulted in the dismissal of several high ranking members of the Soviet military.
Reflections on how to succeed from the man celebrating his birthday today: “I was raised with the idea of maximum effort: as long as you could look in the mirror and say, 'I gave it everything I had,' it was OK. But if you gave it less, that would disgrace you.” Mark Harmon Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day in History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.
© September 2, 2017, Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift