Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For July 16, 2018 the Trump Putin summit is over and Trump is being slammed by both Reds and Blues for not calling out Putin for meddling in the election and not believing his intelligence community (sadly no one other that the translators was in the meeting to create a record of what was said); in another example that Russia is not our friend Maria Butina has been arrested as a unregistered foreign agent of Russia for working with American groups like the National Rifle Association to influence them and their views on Russia; Anthony Bourdain’s interview before his suicide has been released and it is a scathing attack on the Clintons for Bill’s sexual predatory actions and Hillary’s attack on his victims along with a castigation of Henry Weinstein; a volcanic eruption from Kilauea volcano sent 13 people on a tour boat to the hospital; Rob Reiner’s anti Bush film “Shock and Awe” totally bombed on its release on Saturday grossing a paltry $41,000; through July 15, 2018, 1523 people mostly of color have been shot by mostly people of color, of whom 244 have died (when will Chicago get serious about this carnage or is this the case of true racism as a Blue run city turns a deaf ear and a blind eye to the slaughter of people of color by people of color?).
As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, a music link to Louis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee, factoids of interest for this day in history, the fact that you do not have to practice metatonia, a relevant quote from the Neil Armstrong on the beauty of the Moon, secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like college graduations, birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. Global Hug Your Kid Day—started by Michelle Nichol in 2008 after her child died from brain cancer to remind parents no matter how busy they are to hug their children daily.
2. Get Out of the Doghouse Day—created by Heidi Moody, a florist, in 1999 to promote the sale of flowers as a means to give to the person one has offended to get out of the doghouse.
3. 2017 Number One Song— the number one song in 2017 on a run of 16 weeks in that position was “Despacito” by Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee feat. Justin Bieber. Here is a recording of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJQP7kiw5Fk
4. Word of the Day—today’s word of the day is “metonia” which means repentance which the politicians on both sides of the aisle should be performing due to the paralyzing gridlock that affects to Swamp.
5. Old School—celebrating the birth on this day in 1967 of noted actor and comedian Will Ferrell who also did a seven year stint with Saturday Night Live and is best known for his impersonation of George W. Bush.
On this day in:
a. 1945 the USS Indianoplis left San Francisco with parts for the atomic bomb “Little Boy” on the same day that the U.S. successfully detonated an atomic bomb at Alamogordo, New Mexico.
b. 1956 Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus closed its last tent and henceforth would perform its circuses in arenas.
c. 1969 Apollo 11 the first spacecraft with a mission to land men on the Moon was launched from Cape Kennedy.
d. 1979 Ahmed Hassen al-Bakr resigned as president of Iraq and was replaced by Saddam Hussein.
e. 1999 John F. Kennedy, Jr and his wife and sister-in-law died in a private plane enroute to Martha’s Vineyard.
Reflections on landing on the Moon: “It has a stark beauty all its own. It’s like much of the high desert of the United States. It’s different but it’s very pretty out here.” Neil Armstrong.
Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day in History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day in History.
© July 16, 2018 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive Lasting Lift