Ridley’s Believe It Or Not For April 12, 2016. Only 283 days to go in President Obama’s pathetic lame duck term. Political theater is getting more and more exciting Obama weighs in that Hillary is not guilty even though he vows no interference and states no contact with FBI or DOJ and admits his biggest mistake was overthrowing Khadafi, a policy vigorously supported by Hillary. Reds other than Kasich squabbling like spoiled brats, Lyin' Ted and Whining Trump. As always, I hope you enjoy today’s holidays and observances, music links to the Fifth Dimension and Tiny Tim, factoids of interest, a relevant quote from Sarah Vowell, while looking forward to enjoying some grilled cheese sandwiches, blessed with a positive attitude and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for any memorable events like birthdays, weddings, or anniversaries, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem at a great price tailored to the event and the recipient. You need only contact me for details.
1. International Day of Human Space Flight—honoring the accomplishments of men and women in space flight for peaceful purposes; the day chosen is the day on which in 1961 Soviet Cosmonaut Yuri Garagin became the first person to orbit the Earth.
2. Be Kind to Lawyers Day—celebrating what has to be the supreme test of a human being’s capacity for tolerance and forgiveness especially someone who has gone through a bitter, expensive divorce in which the bulk of the assets of both parties was consumed by outrageous legal fees. To paraphrase that famous line from a country and western song—don’t let your children grow up to become lawyers!
3. 1969 Number One Song—celebrating the number one song in 1969 on a run of six weeks in that position Aquarius Let the Sunshine In by the Fifth Dimension. Here is a link to the Fifth Dimension performing Aquarius Let the Sunshine In: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06X5HYynP5E
4. National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day—celebrating a quick and easy and tasty way to enjoy your favorite cheese.
5. It’s All In the Name—celebrating the birthday on this day in 1932 of Herbert Khaury who stood 6’1” tall but used the name Tiny Tim because he often sang in venues that preferred shorter talent. Noted for his falsetto voice and his marriage live on the Johnny Carson show to “Miss Vicki.” Here is a link to him performing his most noted song Tip Toe Through the Tulips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSlcNfThUA
On this day in:
a. 1776 North Carolina with the adoption of the Halifax Resolve at Halifax, North Carolina became the first colony to authorize its delegation at the Continental Congress to vote for independence from Great Britain.
b. 1861 Confederate forces begin firing on Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, South Carolina in the first shots of the Civil War which by its end had taken the lives of some 620,000 Americans.
c. 1955 the polio vaccine developed by Jonas Salk was declared safe and effective.
d. 1981 the first Space Shuttle Columbia took off for its first orbit into space, landing after 37 orbits on April 14.
e. 1999 in what has become all too typical of the Clintons, both Bill and Hillary, President Clinton a defendant in a sexual harassment suit brought by Paula Jones was cited for contempt of court for giving “intentionally false statements.”
Reflections on this nation’s historical holy triad: "The Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Civil War - when I really think about them, they all seem about as likely as the parting of the Red Sea.” Sarah Vowell, noted American best selling list author and essayist.
Please enjoy the poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs—click on the links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance or go to Ridley's Believe It Or Not for just This Day In History.
© April 12, 2016, Michael P. Ridley aka the AlaskanpoetPoet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
The Perfect Gift, All Recipients to Receive a Lasting Lift