Ridley's Believe It Or Not—October 3, 2014: Trust your Friday is proving to be a great day and springboard to an even better weekend and that you enjoy the holidays and factoids and quote from William Arthur Ward with a smile especially today on your sunscreened face, with a dish of caramel custard near, blessed with a positive attitude, and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for a memorable event, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem tailored to the event and the recipient. Hopefully, Notre Dame has a debilitating dendrophobia this Saturday when it meets Stanford at South Bend and also given Stanford's ranking a paralyzing triskaidekaphobia.
1. Tag der Deutschen Einheit (Germany Unity Day)—celebrating in Germany the reunification on this day in 1990 of East Germany and West Germany after dissolution of the Soviet Union and the tearing down of the Berlin Wall.
2. Virus Awareness and Prevention Day—not sure where this came from but given the announcement of the first case of Ebola in Dallas the observance is highly appropriate.
3. World Smile Day--celebrating one of the features that distinguish humans—our ability to smile; the day was suggested by Harvey Ball, the creator of the Smiley Face and has been observed since 1999; although like many good ideas this holiday should be observed daily.
4. Reverend Day—bemoaning the birthday on this day in 1954 of Al Sharpton, a compete ideologue who has his own show on MSNBC that is probably watched by very few.
5. National Caramel Custard Day—honoring something this highly evolved omnivore has never tried.
On this day in
a. 1955 The Mickey Mouse Club first aired on ABC.
b. 1964 in a culinary moment rarely surpassed the first buffalo wings were served at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York.
c. 1995 in a “if it doesn’t fit you have to acquit” moment O. J. Simpson due to his Dream Team of lawyers and the racial makeup of the jury was acquitted of the murder of his ex-wife and Ron Goldman; but the wheels of justice still moved and he was found guilty of armed robbery and kidnapping in Las Vegas and sentenced to 33 years in prison.
d. 2008 the Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 was signed into law by President Bush.
Learn to use words less and smiles more when communicating: “A warm smile is the universal language of kindness.” William Arthur Ward, author of Fountains of Faith
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join almost 150 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs--click on links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest.
© October 3, 2014 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Rhymes on the Memorable Times
The Perfect Gift, All Spirits to Receive the Perfect Lift