Ridley's Believe It Or Not—October 1, 2014: Trust your Wednesday is proving to be a great day and that you enjoy the holidays and factoids and quote from Steve Jobs Leo Tolstoy with a smile on your sunscreened face, with a plate of steamed kale near, blessed with a positive attitude, and secure in the knowledge that if you want to find a gift for a memorable event, you know that the Alaskanpoet can provide you with a unique customized poem tailored to the event and the recipient.
1. International Older Persons Day—a U.N. observance celebrated since 1991 to raise awareness of the issues facing the elderly such as elder abuse and to honor the contribution of the elderly to society.
2. World Vegetarian Day--celebrating since 1977 the vegetarian life style which to this highly evolved carnivore seems something to pity but not honor.
3. Sound of Music Day--celebrating the birthday on this day in 1935 of Julie Andrews, one of the iconic singers and actresses of all times.
4. Peanut Farmer Day—honoring the birthday on this day in 1924 of the only peanut farmer to become President of the United States—Jimmy Carter whose presidency was marred by the occupation of our embassy in Tehran for over a year.
5. National Kale Day—honoring the queen of the cruciferous plants like bok choy and broccoli which is loaded with all sorts of vitamins and minerals—enjoy!
On this day in
a. 1891 Stanford University, destined to become one of the great universities of the world, opened its doors to students.
b. 1908 Ford started selling the Model T for $825.
c. 1948 Mensa International was founded in London.
d. 2013 the Obamacare website opened for business only to almost immediately crash; the ineptness of the feds was staggering as over $2.2 billion was spent on it according to Fox News this morning.
Wise words from a wise man to a group of very bright students: “Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don’t settle.” Steve Jobs Stanford Commencement Address 2005
Please enjoy the 140 character poems on events of interest on my twitter account below (if you like them, retweet and join almost 150 growing followers and please follow me) and follow my blogs. Always good, incisive and entertaining poems on my blogs--click on links below. Go to www.alaskanpoet.blogspot.com for Ridley’s Believe It Or Not—This Day In History, poems to inspire, touch, emote, elate and enjoy and poems on breaking news items of importance. Go to Rhymes On The Newsworthy Times for comments on important and breaking news events that should be of interest.
© October 1, 2014 Michael P. Ridley aka the Alaskanpoet
Alaskanpoet for Hire, Poems to Admire
Poet Extraordinaire Beyond Compare
Rhymes on the Memorable Times
The Perfect Gift, All Spirits to Receive the Perfect Lift